Author Topic: TomB Memorial Bow  (Read 88751 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: TomB Memorial Bow
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2009, 06:56:00 am »
I'm back from camping :( Pappy we're looking for a 50# bow at 28", rigid handle no cut in shelf. As for how much to do on it, I guess I'm not sure ???

Do we have an offer from anyone to tiller it??? 

I need to catch up at work here so more later.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2009, 07:35:10 am »
Dang Greg....you did an Awesome Job on that Droopy Piece of Mulberry!! Just for that....I have got a nice piece of twisted Vine Maple that needs you expertise......... 8)........ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2009, 08:29:23 am »
Alan the arrows and points look great :)

So who wants to work on the bow? Pappy if you want to tiller it thats fine with me, Greg's gonna do the overlays
someone want to shape the handle and skin her? I have a set of eastern timber rattler skins I will donate :)
RictT has offered to do the finish work :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:00 am »
Dose it need to be backed ? I think I read that somewhere ,not sure.If so That needs to be done now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2009, 09:47:40 am »
I don't know mulberry so not sure but I think rawhide would be a good idear, I think Pat said he would back it.
Lets wait and see what Pat says eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2009, 09:55:40 am »
Allen,
Those arrows look GREAT! nice job.

was just wondering if you had any you were shooting this year or whether you were gonna sorta 'borrow' these for the season and donate them after. :)

Bow is looking great. this is coming along nice.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2009, 10:00:04 am »
Generally mulberry should be about 10% longer and wider than osage. For safety sake,a rawhide backing might be the ticket.
  You shaped that stave up nicely, Greg.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 11:40:39 am »
Ok so who's doing what next???

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 11:56:28 am »
How about I try and come up with some backing,floor tiller and get it braced,Work the handle some and GregB put on the tips.I will leave a tiller string with it. If no one wants to finish tillering it I can do that also,just thought some others may want a hand in it. :) Not sure if I have enough raw hide,I will look today and see.Haven't used any lately.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 12:07:16 pm »
Thanks guys, Wade I have a few of my own and I'm working on a bunch more now so I won't need to borrow these.  :) I'll have the others finished some time this week.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 12:09:11 pm »
How about I try and come up with some backing,floor tiller and get it braced,Work the handle some and GregB put on the tips.I will leave a tiller string with it. If no one wants to finish tillering it I can do that also,just thought some others may want a hand in it. :) Not sure if I have enough raw hide,I will look today and see.Haven't used any lately.  :)
   Pappy

Sounds good Pappy, if you need some rawhide I believe I have enough let me know eh.

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:10 pm »
Pappy....I know I have already made a Sock...and an Arm Guard....but if need be....I have some Deer rawhide that I made two years ago....I think I have enough left for one more Bow....let me know...as for Backing it....I never sen the Stave....but I have never Backed Mulberry before....just made it like 4 inches longer (68-70 inches)....and 2 inches wide in the Fades....and they worked fine...but if in doubt....you know....... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2009, 08:57:42 pm »
Mike the stave is only 67" Tip to tip and 1.5" wide at the fades its all I had to work with by the time I removed the junk.
Guess we will see what pappy thinks as the brings it brace, I've been in doubt on this stave since the beginning :-\

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2009, 09:42:39 pm »
Dana ....should be fine if it's Backed then....didn't see what the Length was....but 57 is a bit short for Mulberry without backing it with at least some thin Rawhide
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »
Man, you guys did a number on that piece of wood.  Awesome job straightening it.  I have some whitetail rawhide if needed.  It is not long enough for the length of the bow, but if spicing it in the handle is OK, the piece should be fine.  I'll start the sinew string this weekend.  Still would love to do the finish work on it.    
Traverse City, MI