Author Topic: holmegaard challenge--all bows finished...pics galore  (Read 50493 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: holmegaard challenge--all bows finished...pics galore
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2009, 04:35:05 pm »
All right, let's all be honest now!  How many of you right now have a "holmie" on the bench or at least have a stave/board set aside to become a holmie?

Hehehe, I have an elm tree picked out and am waiting for the leaves to fall before I cut it. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2009, 05:36:08 pm »
Interesting bunch of building.  I still don't have a feel for Homies but you did well.  It was interesting.

It would have taken me all year to complete an experiement like this.  And one or more would have broke.

I still wonder why folks leave the tips so thick.  I figured they would take off just enough material to keep em stiff.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:43:33 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline J05H

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2009, 02:17:39 am »
All right, let's all be honest now!  How many of you right now have a "holmie" on the bench or at least have a stave/board set aside to become a holmie?

I do. I didn't care for the design much until Radius started this project, but now I love it.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

radius

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2009, 03:08:28 pm »

I do. I didn't care for the design much until Radius started this project, but now I love it.

awesome, Josh, let's see what you come up with!

radius

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »
bigcountry, did you notice that i reduced the tips on the second two?  that was for you, amigo!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
bigcountry, did you notice that i reduced the tips on the second two?  that was for you, amigo!

could you have reduced them more or would you have lost poundage?
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2009, 02:08:48 pm »
wouldn't have lost poundage, no:  the draw weight is in the bending portion of the limb, not the lever...but i am pretty content, man, the tip mass doesn't seem to get in the way, cuz these arrows (yes, in my apartment!) fly like rockets!

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »
I have watched this project and yes I have a stave that I have started I took in account for the shorter limbs and the ratios I want to make one around 66-68'' and want limbs to b around 2'' and lever 12''long not sure but cant wait i tried to make an oak one and upon tillering a crack from a MYSTERY knot...oh well I have about fifteen hickory staves I got to get lucky with one of them!!! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME all I can say!!! THANKS for this building expirement!!!
CHEERS!!!

radius

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2009, 02:45:29 pm »
are you a really tall guy, VB?  66 or 68 is pretty long for this style of bow, i think...

strength and honour is from Gladiator, right? 

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »
Howdy Group,

It would be good to have some hard numbers on arrows speeds when compairing one bow to the next.  And, I know we all can't afford, (or don't want) a chronograph.  So, I found this link that shows you how to, fairly accurately, find your arrow speed.  And, after you find the arrow speeds for three or four bows, then you can compair speeds using %'s.  I hope this works for you.  (Yes, to do this you'll have to go outside to shoot - not just in your apartment. ;)

Arrow Speed Without a Chronograph;

http://www.texasoutdoorsman.com/Staff-Articles/VaughnRader/arrow_speed.htm

BTW, thank you very much for doing and sharing this project.  Experimentation really is the way to development / improvement.

Furthermore, I think, one could condence the results of this experiment, add some commentary on limb widths and heat treating (perhaps), and he could write a very interesting and informative article for PA magazine.

All the Best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

radius

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2009, 03:03:15 pm »
Howdy Group,

It would be good to have some hard numbers on arrows speeds when compairing one bow to the next.  And, I know we all can't afford, (or don't want) a chronograph.  So, I found this link that shows you how to, fairly accurately, find your arrow speed.  And, after you find the arrow speeds for three or four bows, then you can compair speeds using %'s.  I hope this works for you.  (Yes, to do this you'll have to go outside to shoot - not just in your apartment. ;)

Arrow Speed Without a Chronograph;

http://www.texasoutdoorsman.com/Staff-Articles/VaughnRader/arrow_speed.htm

BTW, thank you very much for doing and sharing this project.  Experimentation really is the way to development / improvement.

Furthermore, I think, one could condence the results of this experiment, add some commentary on limb widths and heat treating (perhaps), and he could write a very interesting and informative article for PA magazine.

All the Best,
Canoe

Well, thanks brother!  Gee, i wonder if the good Editors would be interested in such an article?  Who do i ask?

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2009, 03:09:59 pm »
RADIUS u do some amazing work!!! U have inspired me to run out hack down a tree in my neighbors yard just to make one for myself!!! Let me ask u did u start from a Oak stave that u split urself or did u buy the white oak from a lumber store?  Either way fine just curious!! Hey man keep up the good work!!!
CHEERS!!! 8)

radius

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2009, 03:15:52 pm »
board bow from the hardwood shop, dude

then i got another one to try steam bending some recurves in...

i'm disappointed, though:  i ordered some elm and it came in, but it's 9 feet long...that's 3 feet plus of extra, and i'm no good at handle splicing...

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
wouldn't have lost poundage, no:  the draw weight is in the bending portion of the limb, not the lever...but i am pretty content, man, the tip mass doesn't seem to get in the way, cuz these arrows (yes, in my apartment!) fly like rockets!

Holy cow, I bet your neighbors are ready to catch an arrow from time to time.
Westminster, MD

Offline medievalhamster

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2009, 04:29:47 pm »
I hate to be the nerd in the bunch, but some of the math that Canoe referenced is wrong.

The speed of the arrow math works out well given gravity as a constant and you can figure out time by distance dropped etc...

However, when figuring out foot pounds the equation (arrow weight)/450*(arrow speed)^2 don't jive. That gives you foot ounces. You have to divide weight by 16 in addition to 450 (437.5 actually) to get foot pounds.

So the right function would be KE=(1/2)*[(arrow weight)/(437.5*16)]*(arrow speed)^2

Don't blame me, I'm an engineering student.

Edit: Me and my big mouth, forgot that KE=(1/2)mv^2. whoops :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:39:00 pm by medievalhamster »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum.