Author Topic: holmegaard challenge--all bows finished...pics galore  (Read 51290 times)

radius

Re: holmegaard challenge--full draw on FIRST one
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2009, 12:30:43 pm »
I was aiming for 50 lbs. and using a spring scale to monitor my tension.  It was bending nice and even, not over weight,  when I heard a tick.

Still have the other two.  We'll see.

after you heard the tick, did you break the thing intentionally?

Offline Parnell

Re: holmegaard challenge--second two almost tillered in, pics of all 3
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »
No - just kept tillering along.  I took off a little more wood after the tick and then exercise and wham!  It was a very loud break!  It actually woke my wife up on the otherside of the house! Ha! ;D
1’—>1’

radius

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2009, 01:59:40 pm »

some pics of #2 (1:1 ratio) all finished up

radius

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2009, 02:38:15 pm »
full draw on the short levered bow (38# @ 26")

here are #2 and #3 together.  #2 was heat tempered later in the roughing out stage, it was much thinner.  It retained the reflex better as you can see.

and here are some pics of #3 all finished up.

I really like this one actually.  Me and my roomie were shooting it in my apartment:  it is easy to draw , feels taut, and shoots FAST...i take it back, i will do this one again...maybe 1 5/8

Offline TBod

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »
Have you seen the Maple bow on p 104 in tbb4. Pretty close to your nr 3. Something between a Holme/pyramid.

I think I´ll try that one but make it crazy wide and slightly more pyramid to midlimb.

radius

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »
haven't seen that one, i don't have the book yet

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: holmegaard challenge--all bows finished...pics galore
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2009, 03:10:55 pm »
Radius, experimentation like this is what got us wood bow builders to where we are today. 8) Thanks for taking on this project.   I would be curious to see the same experiment using staves instead of boards to see the differences in results if any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2009, 03:19:18 pm »
thanks Pat, although i expect your tongue was in your cheek a bit...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2009, 03:23:27 pm »
No, I was serious. The comparison between board and stave in this situation would be interesting to see. Not saying that one is better than the other but what are the differences?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
i meant, tongue in cheek about "where we are today"

i think with staves, you'd have camber to consider, and maybe the limbs be a bit thicker at the crown...one day

i want to get some elm...and work with that...the lumberyard sells red elm ... he says "it's red but it looks grey" ... 6/4 plain sawn stuff... use this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »
With 6/4 plain sawn you might be able to get staves from those boards.   Red elm is redder compared to other elm but not necessarily red.  ;D  Red elm is an excellent bow wood! ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2009, 05:02:55 pm »
Ok...
So what's the bottom line?
What do you reckon the best lever to limb ratio is?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

radius

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2009, 01:29:29 pm »
Ok...
Del

the BEST ratio DEPENDS  on what you want to achieve. 

SHORTEST LIMB:  I think that for a higher poundage bow, the 3:2 ratio is awesome (lever:limb), provided you have enough wood to get the width you need.  Reducing the lever itself in mass should bring up arrow speed too.  Good power, good for hunting or for defending the fort or what have you.

LONGEST LIMB:  Great for a target bow.  It's very light and responsive.  This bow is only 38# at 26" but it shoots FAST! 

1:1 RATIO:  Works awesome.  I shot it after shooting the 38# (it is 50# @ 28" and shows zero string follow, thanks to late-in-the-game heat tempering)...and whereas the 38# shot fast and very satisfyingly....i thought the 1:1 could go right through a tank.  This ratio is probably good for either a high weight (go a little wider) or a target weight (thinner preferably to narrower). 

TBOD was right:  i changed the parameters too much to compare accurately.  I was surprised to see that the 38# couldn't handle more weight, since it has more length of limb to bend.  Glad it didn't break!  It actually pulls to 28" (around 44#?) but it gives that tick sound sometimes which i don't like.  I put CA in the tiny little crack and wrote 26" draw length on the bow...hope that's enough. 

For quarter sawn white oak, at least, You need to make the limbs a little wider than you would for say, Osage.  But you still get a great bow!  Even the 38# could probably down a deer, the arrows fly so fast!  I really like the holmegaard look and the easy draw, the fast release...

I've got some elm coming in...gonna make recurves and  holmegaards out of that, to see which i like better...

Hopefully i can get Robert to chime in about this project, since his ONE post influenced me so much...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2009, 01:38:13 pm »
Ok...
Del

the BEST ratio DEPENDS  on what you want to achieve. 

SHORTEST LIMB:  I think that for a higher poundage bow, the 3:2 ratio is awesome (lever:limb), provided you have enough wood to get the width you need.  Reducing the lever itself in mass should bring up arrow speed too.  Good power, good for hunting or for defending the fort or what have you.

LONGEST LIMB:  Great for a target bow.  It's very light and responsive.  This bow is only 38# at 26" but it shoots FAST! 

1:1 RATIO:  Works awesome.  I shot it after shooting the 38# (it is 50# @ 28" and shows zero string follow, thanks to late-in-the-game heat tempering)...and whereas the 38# shot fast and very satisfyingly....i thought the 1:1 could go right through a tank.  This ratio is probably good for either a high weight (go a little wider) or a target weight (thinner preferably to narrower). 

TBOD was right:  i changed the parameters too much to compare accurately.  I was surprised to see that the 38# couldn't handle more weight, since it has more length of limb to bend.  Glad it didn't break!  It actually pulls to 28" (around 44#?) but it gives that tick sound sometimes which i don't like.  I put CA in the tiny little crack and wrote 26" draw length on the bow...hope that's enough. 

For quarter sawn white oak, at least, You need to make the limbs a little wider than you would for say, Osage.  But you still get a great bow!  Even the 38# could probably down a deer, the arrows fly so fast!  I really like the holmegaard look and the easy draw, the fast release...

I've got some elm coming in...gonna make recurves and  holmegaards out of that, to see which i like better...

Hopefully i can get Robert to chime in about this project, since his ONE post influenced me so much...

Cheers...That's we get hooked on this game...so many variables to play with, and so many different 'right' answers.

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TBod

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2009, 03:46:47 pm »
Cool stuff!

It's almost like a chapter in the bibles this project.

The best thing about board bows is that you can make them really wide.