Author Topic: Heat treating Grizzlies  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Little John

Heat treating Grizzlies
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:21:36 pm »
I was mounting some 190 grain grizzlies last night and and reducing them down with a grinder  to between 7/8" and 1" wide for greater penetration. When I went to re establish the bevel a new mill bastard file would not even scratch the grizzlie, beveled with a grinder and still could not touch up ar finish sharpening with the file. They were the hardest metal I have ever tried to work, so took them to work with me and found some insulation, heated them to a dull red with my torch and wraped with insulation to cool. They are much better and sharpen easy with the file, hope they arent too soft and bend over on a heavy bone hit on big game.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Heat treating Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:58:55 pm »
careful!
most states require a minimum broadhead width usually 1 in but sometimes 7/8 i think

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:04:47 am »
I  think  that  is  one  of the  selling  points  of the  single  bevel  grizzlies,  penetration thru  heavy flesh/bone,  not  suprised they  are  tempered
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:42:48 am »
Try to bend the tip on one with your bare hands.  If you can, they are probably too soft.  It sounds like you annealed them.  they may need to be heat treated and tempered. An Rh of 50 to 55 would probably do the trick.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:29:01 pm »
Yep Colorado requires 7/8" width, so we are ok there. ep also Mad Crow I aneealed them. Don't know how or have equipment to test the hardness, but think they are about right. Ill tell you that broadheads that are too hard to sharpen are about only gopod for stump shooting with. I mostly only shoot field points when shooting other peoples targets.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:27:20 pm »
If these are like the 2 you sent me, they ought to be deadly...bone splitting deadly! ;) Has the season started?  When are you going to the mountains?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:05 am »
Pat, no these are comercial points. Been too buzy to make the trade points, wish I had some like I sent you just too buzy and lazy to get them made. Season starts Sat. and Kathie and I are going in Friday, hope to take off work about noon. We got buzy at work and they want it all done now, I have a hard day for today and Friday morning to get caoght up in the oilfield. Will be nice to get up there and relax. Will keep you posted when we get back Sunday night.      Kenneth

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:28:02 am »
Kenneth I mounted a couple of your points up to some cane arrows, they fly real nice and with
some luck I hope to get em all bloody :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:07:52 am »
Looking forward to the "hero shot"! If you need help packing that Monarch out, just let me know.  ::) You know how well I can handle a horse...or did that horse handle me?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »
Best of luck Kenneth! Grant (CastIron) called this morning while scouting in Colorado. Found a spot where he had a signal and called me to rub it in that he was in Colorado scouting for elk, and I was home at work. Wasn't a lot I could say about that...he definitely had me at a disadvantage. He said he had just spotted a moose...

I forgot to ask him where he was at...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:45 pm »
Thanks everybody, Pat, Dana, Greg. Good luck Dana with the trade points, hope you get a shot. Pat, yea you are a good hand with the horses, as well as probably any thing else. I will send ya an airline ticket. You should have been there a couple of weeks ago when I had two horses tailed up (ones halter rope tied to the other ones tail)  and one hanging from each side of a tree on a steep slope. Only minor wounds and a destroyed pack saddle. Greg wish you were here, hope good luck for Grant. Maybe I can borrow your snake bow. (no not really but really do love that bow) Well just a few odds and ends into the back pack with a bit of food and change of clothes  and head on up. Wish all my primitive archer friends could experience a wilderness elk hunt.                                          Kenneth
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:31:45 pm by Little John »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 12:04:29 am »
well kenneth we could ifn ya hooked us all up  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 09:45:20 am »
Aim small miss small brother... elk opens here the 15.. filmimg the hunt for Journey With Red Hawk... should be a good time.. can't wait for some bugling in the pines.. Hawk 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 11:54:47 pm »
hey hawkbow nice to see ya on here again,its been awhile

peace,
                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd