Author Topic: Two fletch  (Read 9171 times)

Offline staveshaver

Two fletch
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:43 pm »
I have just completed 5 dogwood shoot arrows . the only things that are not natural materials are the steel Field tips (100 gr) .they are two fletched turkey no glue style .they are so far ,in my opinion, the best shooting arrows I've ever shot . I 'm wondering what advantage three fletch has .Because after a couple hundred shots with these, it seems like three fletch is a waste of time and materials. I know this subject has been discussed before but this a new experience for me .I am a much better bowyer than arrowsmith.but I,m getting there.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Two fletch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »
I like two-fletches, fly just as good as the three-fletchers if they're made right. Three-fletches might have a bit more stability with broadheads or in windy conditions, but I wouldn't swear to it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:19:33 am »
I have not tested them with broadheads yet, but I plan to get some zwickeys next week and try them out. I live in Oklahoma and have plenty of chances to test them in windy conditions. So far I'm impressed with them and plan to hunt with them this year.

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:03:59 pm »
I'm gonna try it..
How do you place the feathers compared to the nock groove? Vertical or?

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:19:23 pm »
Yes Tbod vertical to the nock.

I will be hunting with two fletch arrows this fall as well.
Actually i will be hunting with a full Cherokee set up this fall.
The 2 fletch is a very good design. How good is it over the 3 fletch ...i dont know .
All i know is they fly well and are a good conversation piece.
donadagohvi
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline TBod

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:54:32 pm »
Thanks Matt!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:36:44 pm »
 I've used them with factory broadheads and I haven't seen much difference under 15 yards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:54:21 pm »
Hey part Cherokee , I been following your posts on eastern two fletch arrows, but I would like to see your bow .Is it posted already?    
TBod ; sorry I wasn't able to answer your question. I was offline for a few days. but to add to Matt's' reply the fletch, nock, and broadhead should all be in the same plane. I'm not sure why other than to keep the fletch from hitting the bow on release. Well fellas I'm still loving my two fletch shoot arrows, they are tougher than any shafting I've ever used hands down.I was worried that they wouldn't do well at more than 25 yards , but I shot them the other day @ 50 yards; 4 of 6 shots were with in inches of the center mark, the other two were close enough ,I only had time for those 6 shots. I have about 30 more shafts in progress I doubt if I'll ever use any other shafting.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:17:45 pm »
i heard that dogwood dosnt like to stay strieght?
lets just shoot it

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 11:46:43 pm »
 I have to straighten them every so often, but no more than with dowel shafting . The next few arrows I make I am going to try the "lighting grooves"  to see if that works as well as I've read it does.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 12:03:25 am »
Dogwood will stay as straight as any shafting. I have a red osier arrow I made many years ago that is as straight as the day I made it.
  And speaking of straight...your shoot arrows don't have to be "carbon shaft" straight either. As long as the nock and point line up and the arrow spins true it will shoot true. I have made some pretty crooked arrows that will hit where you are looking every time. I wouldn't hunt with some because the crookedness would impede penetration but some I would hunt with.
   Below are 2 examples of crooked arrows I have made. The bottom arrow is only a wall hanger. Out past about 10yrs it goes haywire. The one with the red fletching is quite a shooter. I gave it to Bernie Dunn. 

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:38 am »
thats really neat man. and what do yall mean by "spin true"

im assumeing that it means that once you got a point on it, stand it on the point and spin it, and if it will spin for a second or so, its good. am i right?
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:25:23 am »
basically "spin true"
means that both tips spin in the same circle,regardless of the rest of the shaft

pat love them wobblers 8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 12:37:10 am »
RS, I spin every arrow on the tip of my finger before I shoot it, no matter what head I use. I can feel the least amount of wobble through my finger tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:18:37 am »

Pat B, you must go through a bunch of band aids...... ;D

Wayne