Author Topic: What do YOU consider a "short" bow?  (Read 4834 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
What do YOU consider a "short" bow?
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:21:43 pm »
I know this is dependant on wood, design, personal preferance, etc. but i was just curious to find out what you all consider a really short bow for a full 28" draw?

I've recently built my shortest bow thus far, 60" osage self-bow, and really like it. I'm already thinking shorter.

thanks for your opinion.

Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline Dano

Re: What do YOU consider a "short" bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:25:39 pm »
I just completed a 51" osage bow, and I know I could have gone shorter, just gotta push it I guess. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:41:51 pm »
For me any thing under 64" for a rigid handle bow is getting short, but then I am not a big fan of short bows.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:22 pm »
Anything under about 60" I consider to be a "short bow." Depends on what it's made from, too. A 60" horn/sinew composite would be ungainly long, but a 60" selfbow from a marginal wood might be in two pieces the first time you bring it to full draw.There's a fine line there somewhere in the mid 50's between stability, accuracy, durability, and maneuverability. I like bows in the 60"-64" range for most of my hunting and shooting, but the longer ones around 66"-70" sure are sweet to shoot.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:58:18 pm »
Anything under about 60" I consider to be a "short bow." There's a fine line there somewhere in the mid 50's between stability, accuracy, durability, and maneuverability. I like bows in the 60"-64" range for most of my hunting and shooting, but the longer ones around 66"-70" sure are sweet to shoot.
Me too.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:58:37 pm »
yeah Dano, i saw your 51" er on the other site, thats what got me thinking about this.

as an extension to the original question, when do you think a short bow needs to have the tips flipped in order to get string angle, etc the way it should be, again this would be for a 28" draw.

also do you prefer working or static recurves?

sorry for all the questions, i've only made straight bows thus far.

thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:59:46 pm »
  Self bows I like in the 58"to 62"range. The only glass I shoot a lot are 48". Mostly, crawling, in the rain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 11:20:31 pm »
Anything 60" t/t or under I consider short for my 26" draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 11:46:42 pm »
I just finished an O/O/H bow 60" long with a light hickory handle laminate, it is pulling 27" and shoots like a rifle.   And, today laid out and began sawing out a 68" hickory self bow.  That will need a 30" draw if Ian_Johnson is going to shoot it.  I can't pull that far, I run out of arm!!

To answer your question, I think that 60" is a short bow......but, dang, they feel nice and don't weight anything, possibly the perfect bow to carry long distances.  How big was the "Ice Man" bow?  I'll bet not too long. 
piper

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 11:47:05 pm »
I like shooting 56"to 60" bows.. Any thing shorter and my shooting style suffers..

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:12 am »
I would consider anything <60" NTN to be short. I'm not a huge fan of short bows... I find them hard to be accurate with. Awesome for hunting, however, especially when you're up in a treestand.

AKAPK

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 02:02:22 am »
44" anything shorter than that might as well throw the Bow instead of the Arrow :)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:47:13 am »
I like shooting 56"to 60" bows.. Any thing shorter and my shooting style suffers..

Thanks David, now I FINALLY have a good excuse!!!    :) :)

Hey, i thought you were going to call me.  I'll be in the shop from 9:30 till about 1 PM today, then off to a meeting.
 piper

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:49 am »
Anything under 66" is a short bow to me. With the weights I like to shoot, anything shrter and my shoulder screams at me :-X

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:23 pm »
Under 60 in. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!