Author Topic: Problem with form?  (Read 5108 times)

Offline J05H

Problem with form?
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:42:39 am »
Hi. I've only been shooting for about 3 weeks now and I've noticed that most of my shots end up 5 or so inches to the left of the target at around 15 to 20 yards. Is there a specific problem that I should work on that could correct this? I think it may be my loose. I've been working on it but I can't seem to get it right.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Problem with form?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:46:45 am »
That's a very common problem with right-handed shooters. Other causes could be arrows that are spined too stiff for the bow, especially if it has a wide-ish handle, or your stance and alignment. If you are shooting with the bow held straight up and down or almost vertical, try canting it to the right at at least a 45 degree angle. And get your arrow under your eye. I had the same problem when I started shooting many moons ago, and it eventually worked itself out so that now I can miss in all directions equally instead of just to the left. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

cooksomerice

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:51:28 am »
I had the same problem with my osage selfbow.  You should try canting the bow more.  I don't know why, but just doing that fixed my problem.  Now if I just knew how to fix the other 27 problems.

Offline J05H

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:55:45 am »
Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely try that.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:34 pm »
repeat check arrows for the bow, cant and make sure you aint jerking your bow arm out of the way to see the arrow. iam perfect so i really cant help alot. i mean perfect at missing. it just takes alot of shooting and you will figure out your style. one day it will click. keep the wood slangin.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:17 am »
jo5h when i frist started my arrows were way to stiff and i had the same problem. DONT IGNORE THIS! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPERLY SPINED ARROWS!!
lets just shoot it

Offline robby

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
Josh, I had that very same problem years ago. I solved it by making bow after bow until I got them to shoot straight. Its kind of a round about solution, but it works.
Robby

Offline J05H

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 02:45:59 am »
I don't think it's spine.  My bow is 60# @28" and it's an inch and a half wide at the arrow pass. With 100 grain field points, I figured I would need about 40lb arrows. The arrows I bought are 30-50lb Carbon Express from Wal-Mart. They may not be right but the selection at Wal-Mart is limited and I haven't got the money to go somewhere like Bass Pro. I have some materials on the way to make my own. It may just be that they are not matched well enough. I don't know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Josh

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:19:17 am »
oh, well i dont know. are you just switching from a compound?
lets just shoot it

Offline robby

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:27:38 am »
Josh, I wasn't kidding about my solution. When My kids were little I wouldn't spend a nickel on myself for my primitive indulgences, what precious little time I had, would be used up making making arrows for a bow, or bows for a set of arrows that I had made, trying to get a good match up, Its a good way to build up an inventory and doesn't cost any more than a little chain saw fuel, or sweat if you only have an axe. I'd loose those carbon arrows first off and think hard on narrowing down the handle a bit, go out and cut a nice manageable diameter, clear, red or white ash tree and start making shafting. Course, I don't know your situation, and my advise is meant only a encouragement, please don't take it any other way. Good luck!
Robby

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:57:41 am »
oh, are you useing vanes or real feathers?
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »
Carbon arrows, especially with vanes, won't want to fly right out of a wide handled selfbow like that. You can try swithcing to feathers (if necessary) and canting the bow at about a 45* angle, but you'll still have some problems.

Offline J05H

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
Ok that helps. They do have vanes. Like I said, I have got the material on the way to try to make a set of arrows. I ordered 40-45lb POC shafts. I also have some turkey feathers and so agate points. I'll have to hit the arrows section and get some help on putting it all together.

Thanks guys, Josh

Offline agd68

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:12 pm »
Let me ask, are you a right or left hand shooter and what is your draw length ?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline J05H

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:24:31 am »
right handed 28 inches.