Author Topic: A question about ERC  (Read 1924 times)

Offline KShip85

A question about ERC
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:52:04 pm »
Ok, well I have an ERC stave that I cut last winter that I started chasing a ring on and I am having some trouble.  The rings get thin close to the edge of it in places and I have cut through my intended ring numerous times already.  I have one going for me right now, but I guess I am wondering if i plan on backing it anyway, is it absolutely necessary that a ring be perfectly intact for the entire length.  Thanks again all for the help.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Dano

Re: A question about ERC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:11:35 pm »
What are you planning on backing it with?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:36:30 pm »
I haven't decided on anything for sure, I hear rawhide is popular with it.  Right now I am open to options, I'd like something that would contrast nicely with the heartwood.  Thanks for the input.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 11:02:23 pm »
OK KIP  I MAKE SEVERAL EVERY YEAR OUT OF ERC  I ABSOULTLY NEVER  REMOVE THE SAP THE WHITE WOOD UNDER THE BARK ON MY ERC STAVES    AND NEVER CHASE A RING ON ERC   BUT SIENCE YOU ARE ALREADY AT THAT POINT ID SAY BACK IT WITH RAWHIDE  AND SHOOT FOR A LOWER POUNDAGE BOW  LIKE 35# BELOW   IV SEEN BOWS,, WAR BOWS ALSO MADE UP TO 120# WITH ERC BUT THATS LEAVIN THE SAP WOOD ON BROCK

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:10:57 pm »
I'd think you could easily get 50# out of a rawhide backed ERC bow as long as the wood is relatively clear. Knots can be a killer in my experience. :o I would keep some of the sapwood on.
    I saw an all sapwood ERC ELB type bow that pulled about 50# and shot an arrow with authority.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:38:54 pm »
Not trying to out do any one, but I would leave a small amount of sap wood under the rawhide. That is a little built in insurance. Then build your bow as you want. ERC is a finiky creature. Sometimes they hold , sometimes they don't. Back it and see what happens. There is always more wood in the forest.
TJ
I have had 1 failure out of 5 so far.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:28 am »
Howdy Guys,  I like ERC and related junipers.  I don't think I've made quite as many as BCBULL can claim, but I have made a few.   ERC can make a great self bow, with no ring chasing, it the stave is relatively clean and free of large knots.  Thinning the sapwood to get more haertwood in the bow, or to remove wormholes etc works, too.  But it then needs a backing.   You can't beat sinew on junipers.  Even a thin layer starts producing some reflex and the reflex mostly holds through to shooting.  I haven't tried rawhide, but don't see why it wouldn't work.  If you flatten the back, or start with a board stavehickory and bamboo both work well.  Bamboo contrasts well, but can be too strong.  If you use bamboo on ERC thin the bambbo as much as you can and then consider trapping the backing as well.  I just finished an ERC board bow using the last method and have a nice 65#  @ 28" bow.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:24:58 am »
Mullet, you said, "There is always more wood in the forest.".........dang, wish i'd have said that.  You should use that as a posting "signature".  piper