Author Topic: Howard Hill Bow - Find  (Read 12226 times)

hotrod99

Howard Hill Bow - Find
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:45:49 pm »
So... I'm on vacation in AZ and walking into a roadside shop... he had a few bows hanging on the walls... We started talking and in about 5 min he produced 2 bows made by the man himself... Howard Hill.

He said Hill gave them to his dad in 1936... and his dad left them to him.  He's not a bow shooter so they have just sat under his bed... for years. 

I even took a few photos... 

If you're wondering... they are not for sale... at this time.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: Howard Hill Bow - Find
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:48:50 pm »
That'll make your heart go pitter-pat.......wow.    Sort of like picking up a violin and finding it to be a REAL Amati.......and not for sale. 

piper

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:50:09 pm »
Lucky you had a chance to see and hold them,..i'd love to shoot them  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:54:43 pm »
Just being able to hold a little bit of archery history is cool.  8)  That shop looks like it might have a few more treasures.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

hotrod99

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:02 pm »
We talked for about an hour... about the bows!   He said he has a book and a few letters that Howard gave to his dad.  He told me he'd find them and send me photos.  I gave him all my info and told him... if they are ever for sale, to PLEASE call me, e-mail me, or write me.... I would fly back to AZ to buy them.   He said, he's had them for years and never shown them to anyone else... said no one has ever seem interested....   It was one of the coolest parts of our trip.  My wife even thought it was cool....

I can tell you I made an offer.... but he said they are not for sale. but he would think about it. 

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:21:59 pm »
hotrod, HOWARD HILL used to come and shoot wild pigs with the father of one of my clients here.   He tells the story of how Hill was shooting with his dad and a group of pigs came into the clearing.  Hill shot and the first pig flopped over, dead.   The pig behind him ran off.  A blood trail showed that the arrow WENT THRU the first pig and the second one carried it off fifty yards or so and expired.   TWO WITH ONE SHOT!! 
piper

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:52:56 am »
WoW. Now that is a find.
Thanks for showing the photos, and let us know if he ever gets back in touch with you??
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:57 am »
Talk about a great addition to a trophy room, what a piece of history you had ahold of!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:24:17 am »
How about this line.........."Dear sir, I'd be happy to take that old stick of wood in trade for these THREE MAGIC BEANS......"     He might have gone for that , ya just never know.  piper

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:20:28 pm »
Swain Moore brought in a bow that howard made for him,for his 13th birthday.Swain is the son of Skeet Moore,Howards friend and hunting Pard.Swain and his Brother Steve,told us a story of Howard hunting deer with them,in the Rubies.They said he shot a running Buck through the heart.They stepped it off afterwards and it was a 70 yrd shot.By the way,that bow that Swain had was a 65 lb bow,if i remember correctly.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:23 pm »
Forgot to add,that it shure is a wonderfull feeling to see and hold items with historical significance init?

Offline xin

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 03:06:36 pm »
Old Howard used quite a piece of lumber for a bow.  Wonder what the weight of those are?  I used to watch the Howard Hill shorts at the movies when I was a kid.  I was absolutely flabbergasted at some of the shots he made.   He is probably what initiated my interest in archery.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:53:35 pm »
Wow.  And in lies the sad part of the story, "not for sale" ;D

I would love to come across a find like that.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:23:27 pm »
That's th kind of experience that you don't get to have very often-thanks for sharing it with us.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »
 that is amazing !!!! Could you tell what they were made of? I know Howard Hill liked bamboo.