Author Topic: how to sharpen  (Read 2021 times)

Offline sailordad

how to sharpen
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:30:07 pm »
well i have been knapping for 7 months now
i have learned alot so far
but now i am wanting to learn how to put a good edge on a point/blade
i can get them some what sharp,but not what i would call hunt worthy
does anyone know of a good vid showing ,or can explain how to put a good quality edge on stone points/blades.
it would be greatly appreciated
not that i will be hunting with points that i make,not legal here in mn.
but it would be nice to know how so i can make a usable stone knife and hopes to one day be able to hunt with stone
thanks
                                                                      peace,
                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
Re: how to sharpen
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 03:10:17 am »
i dont know if im the best to explain this but im gonna try anyway  :D. when you get your final edge from pressure flaking you still have little ridges and valleys left. i take my smallest flaker and get it to the sharpest point i can. i push off that small point off the valley back and forth, kind of like micro scale flaking. i have heard some people actually use their finger nails to do this. mind you i do this with obsidian, and you truly can shave hairs off with the finished edge. im sure there is someone that can do better than me at describing this and if im doing it the hard way i would love to know another procedure. hope this helps.

Dustin D.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Timo

Re: how to sharpen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 08:34:03 am »
I can't find the video, but there is one out there that explains a bit of how to do it. I think it was called the zig zag? Not sure,basically he would take a flake,turn the point over and take another as he run down the edge.Really super sharp.

I usually go over mine after I have shot them to make sure they fly well. Usually just go down the edge as Dustin mentioned.