Author Topic: First Osage character bow build along  (Read 94058 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: First Osage character bow build along
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2007, 11:00:15 pm »
O, Greg, how would I sew the pieces of the stringer together?
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2007, 11:12:01 pm »
Looks good to me.  I would draw it some more.  Maybe a pic or two during draw and the guys that know what they are doing (not me) can help you out a little.

I use a string like Greg has for a long tillering string.  I guess I could just string it on the tree while it is drawn.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2007, 12:12:53 am »
Sean, With wood bows, you can't tell a lot about the tiller just from a braced pic. You can only really tell about proper tiller at full draw. At brace you can tell if the string is lining up properly and if the limbs are bending smoothly and somewhat even.
 The limb on the right looks a bit stronger at brace. How far have you pulled the bow? What you can do now is pull it to your draw weight(no farther) and see how far you have to pull to get there.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2007, 01:04:37 am »
GregB, could you show the back side of your stringer? I can't tell where the cord runs from the pics. Thanks

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:31 am »

Sean, the templates are laminated plastic so that they flex if need be but can use to place on leather and mark holes. I use a leather rotary punch for punching the holes in the leather. The larger holes in the template are where the actual cord goes through. The smaller holes are for the stitching. I use bow serving material due to it's strength to stitch the pieces together. Craft shops such as Hobby Lobby have leather punches, large threading needles, etc. available.

Agbower, I'll post the back side of the stringers this afternoon when I get home from work. This design is a little more complicated then some I've seen, but I like how it performs. ;)

Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2007, 07:35:53 pm »
I almost got it to full draw today, sorry I didn't post my progress, I had fun tillering it and didn't want to stop. :D The outer top limb looks stiff, but it origionaly had reflex, so it is bending. How is it?        btw, yes, I do like my T-shirt. ;D
     Sean

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:37:39 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2007, 09:36:30 pm »

Agbower, here are the pics on the stringer. Let me know if you need any further information...

Sean, the bow is looking good...I'm in agreement with you that the outer limbs could bend more other then leaving the last 6-8" stiff.

Greg

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2007, 09:47:51 pm »

Maybe this will help...

Greg

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2007, 11:36:23 pm »
Thanks Greg, could you show me which holes the thread goes through (well, in which order) when you sew them together?

I got it to full draw, working the outer limb on the top a little, I think I will keep it where it is right now as it is about 45lb at my draw leangth (I want it to be between 40-45lb). As I said earlier, the limb had slight reflex in it to begin with so I think it would be all right being a little stiff?
Lastly, a question about one of the knots. It is mostly rotten and I've heard that if they are it would be best to drill them out. So, do you think I should try it?
      Sean

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:48:23 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2007, 12:21:47 am »
Sean, Show us a pic of the knot. With some knots you can just pick out the doudy stuff. The wood compensated for the limb(knot) with extra wood around it. If small and not sound you can fill with super glue and if big enough with fine saw dust and super glue.
   Your tiller looks good. She's coming along nicely.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2007, 08:36:16 am »
Sean, the long piece of leather after it is cut out and holes punched in it will fold in have where the V comes to a point. The small diameter holes will then align with each other for you to thread through. I start at one end with my thread and needle, and thread it through from side to side until you get to the other end then I reverse directions and go back to where I started. I might go full length back and forth several times keeping the thread tight and the leather pressed together to ensure the bind is good and strong. The end tabs fold over to align with the other holes. Thread them together the same. I forgot to place the small rectangular piece with four holes in the last picture. I had it in the previous one. It attaches to the back of the lower limb pocket as seen in the assembled stringer. Hope this explanation helps. Look at the assembled pictures and you should be able to tell how it goes together.
Greg

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2007, 12:33:25 pm »
Got your full draw image set up for March Bow of the Month.  Good job.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2007, 08:23:14 pm »
Wait! it's not done yet! :D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

duffontap

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2007, 08:25:03 pm »
Great work Sean.  Anyone who can tiller a bow like that has my respect.  Take care.

J. D. Duff

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2007, 12:31:48 am »
Thanks for the compliment J.D.
sanding and finishing, then a handle wrap and strike plate are all that's left for me to do! I'm really happy! ;D
Here is the knot I mentioned, drill it out? Or no? It is rotten all the way thorugh, but not so soft that I can dig it out with a knife.     

btw, the knot has a lot of extra wood around it, so I think it would be fine if I just left a hole in it. More character right? :D
       Sean

Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.