Author Topic: Getting Frusterated!  (Read 4172 times)

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Getting Frusterated!
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:21:36 pm »
This is my fifth failure at making a bow. I keep getting saplings with to many knots. Due I need to cut down a bigger tree. Maybe a bigger tree wont have as many knots or it will have more wood to work around? Or maybe I need to try a deferent species of wood. Ive currently tried sweetgum, soft maple, and a sort of swamp oak tree. I live in northeastern N.C. close to the Virginia line. Any suggestions or tips on making a bow would be helpfull thankyou.

Grunt

Re: Getting Frusterated!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »
Build a couple of board bows first cause they are more forgiving and can be backed easier. Most of my board bows cost less than twenty bucks each with backing. Get some successes under your belt and then go on to stave bows. The closer you get to completion the slower you go. Have fun.

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:51:41 pm »
I made a couple of board bows they broke. I think they wore to dry and brittle from being kiln dried.

Offline wakosama

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:38 pm »
We understand.  I've made 8 bows.  They were all learning experiences (yeah, they broke).  But I sure am learning alot about what DOESN'T work.  I feel like Edison searching for the lightbulb.  Keep at it.  You'll succeed and love it when you do.
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:15:33 pm »
i naver made a board bow, i started right in on osage. i havent had to many break but osage is hard. dont give up, when you do get on made it will be good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:32:21 pm »
I agree, make a board bow or two.  Back them with hardwood veneer or a slice of the board turned around and glued back on.  I really think that many failures come when fellows try to make 60-pound bows out of wood that will better serve a 40-pound bow.  Wood can do two things when strained: bend or break.  The proper thickness and width in any individual piece of wood will determine which of these two things happen when you string it up and pull.  Personally, I'd rather have a working bow that pulls 40-pounds than a pile of broken sticks that I WANTED to be 60-pounders. 

Frustration?   get used to it.  Satisfaction?  yup, the first time you make a bow that works the satisfaction will bring you to your knees............start with a stick and make a bow, a weapon, a tool that can feed you......it is magic, really.   So, stick with it.  Be frustrated.  Never give up. 

piper

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:27:06 am »
I agree with islandpiper. I have scaled down several bows to pull in a lower poundage range to save the bow. Keep at it because the first four arrows out of a new bow will give you a feeling that is hard to describe, kind of spiritual, kind of cool.
 The last two bows I made came from a red oak board stave that would have made a 45-50 lb bow. I needed a couple of children's bows for a workshop I'm doing next month so I split the two inch stave into two one inch strips, backed them with linen canvas and built the children's bows to pull around 20 lbs at 24 inches. They are fun to shoot.
Keep at it and if you ever get to western NC come and visit and we'll do some shooting.

radius

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »
keep a bucket of cold water handy...when you start to get going too fast, or straining the bow too hard...dunk your head...god, i wish i had done that two nights ago:  i'd still have my cool decrowned yew bow...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »
Don't work on bows when you are frustrated. Take it slow and easy. You should have hickory, locust, ERC, red oak, white oak and a few others in your area. Find saplings with no knots and check out Gordon's build along. He is very successful with sapling bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 05:27:15 pm »
Thank You everyone for the advice and encouragement

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 06:20:10 pm »
We've all been there.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 07:19:55 pm »
Sapling bows are harder to make than they look. I would start with either a board or a full-width stave.
Gordon

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »
What type of wood do you recomend for a board bow? Do they sell them at lows or home depot?

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »
The home centers usually have red oak.....sort through them for the straight one. 

Hickory is very forgiving and easy to work, but you'll have to look in the right place for a hickory board. 

Maple boards are available in my local Lowes, your's may have them too. 

Look around and see if you can find some Cherry flooring.....or maybe a stick of Ipe.......if you know a flooring guy you might be able to beg one off him.  Or try your local flooring supply store that deals with the average citizen and tell them you need just one more stick of Ipe to finish a job, then find the straight one in the bunch.  Are you near a boat building shop?  they have good wood and lots of boatbuilders are interesting, nice guys who will help another craftsman on his journey as long as you are not competing with them. 

Or.............look in the trading section of this forum and maybe you can get a board in trade for something that you can supply like five pounds of cheese or pair of wool socks.......

Never say never.   Wood is EVERYWHERE!!  piper

Offline smokeu

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 11:36:29 am »
Keep at it and do some studying>>>> you will get it soon. I know for me there where several "ah-ha" moments when i would find just the right tools or techniques. keep going you will do great.

Best of luck,

Mike
Longview, TEXAS