Author Topic: Osage with curves!  (Read 20986 times)

Offline billy

Re: Osage with curves!
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »
Ok, now I've seen some really ugly bows on here...but this one takes the cake, by far.  I'm getting real tired of seeing people post such ugly, off tiller, sloppily made bows in which it's obvious the craftsman just hacked the thing out and didn't care about appearance or finish.  I mean, the snakeskin job was obviously not well done, and the snaky osage stave probably only took 15 minutes to establish the ring from tip to tip.  I'm gonna post the ugliest bow I've ever made and I'll bet it will win bow of the millenium!   ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, that is one bad a$$ bow dude!  I remember one time I was hunting with a snakeskin covered bow and I set it down beside me when I sat against a tree.  I happened to look down a few minutes later, and the first thing I noticed was the snakeskin on the bow....and I jumped!  I felt pretty silly afterwards because my bow actually scared me for a second.  Now if I had your bow at that time, I would have jumped up, hauled a$$ to the car, burned rubber for 200 yards,  eluded the cops as they tried to stop me for exceeding the speed limit by Mach 17, slid into my front yard sideways, ran into the house and then hid under the bed.  Only then would I have realized I think that was my bow that scared me.  Of all the bows I've seen, that one looks more like an actual snake than any one I've seen so far.  Superb job!!!

Marietta, Georgia

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 03:51:51 pm »
wow,   that sets an amazing standard.

great piece of wood,  and i really like the handle.  I'm jealous of the unbraced profile, it looks like it's never pulled a string in its life.

i do have a question.   the skins look really bumpy,  are the scales still on?

great bow,   you should be proud.

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline BearG

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 03:55:45 pm »
Man Greg You the man ::)
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 04:07:59 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Billy.... ;D ;D ;D

Ravenbeak, the skins aren't quite slick to the touch, but close. I started out with about three coats or so of truoil and gave it a full day after the third coat then lightly sanding only one direction with the scales. After that I continued to lightly sand/steel wool every other coat or so. The skins probably got 20 or so coats of truoil, and another several of polyurethane clear satin. One of the skins was from quite a bit larger snake then the other, and the scales were larger. But a pretty decent match. Pappy gave me two skins and I had one given to me from another friend I work with. Ended up using one of the one's Pappy gave me (the nicest of the two used on the top limb), and the one from my other friend.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00:28 pm »
Absolutely beautiful !  :o,that handle beats anything I've seen.Great job all the way around!!  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »
Nice bow Greg. You took some pretty pictures too.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 09:46:43 pm »
Greg
That is by far one of the most beautiful bows I have ever seen :o :o.  You did an amazing job on that one.  I really love the handle.  Truly one of a kind.
Traverse City, MI

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 10:10:51 pm »
I bet that was a pain to make but well worth it.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »
Wow Greg That bow is stunning. I don't know what I can add to whats been said. Awesome work.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline woodstick

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 11:18:38 pm »
yep!!!!
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Big A

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 11:30:12 pm »
Man Greg that is truely a work of art. I am honored to have a stave from the same log. I hope I can make mine look and shoot half as nice as yours. The cool thing about that bow is that it shoots as good as it looks. I can't wait to see it get bloody this fall.I know that it is a product of what you love to do and it shows. Keep scrapping.
Big A

Adam Keiper

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 09:47:52 am »
Greg, That bow is NICE!  Everything about it is outstanding...the curves, the skins, the grip, the worksmanship.  That's the kind of bow you just want to string up and shoot the moment you see it.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 10:45:44 am »
WOW!!!  Incredible!  Absolutely beautiful!  I just want to echo what everyone else has said.  I'm also envious of your ability to make such great looking handles!  Nice job!
south central VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 11:52:16 am »
Any snake would be proud to be friends with this bow. Very nice detail and, as usual great tip work! Bookmarked!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Keenan

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 12:14:22 pm »
 Greg you just broke the sound barrier for snake bows. That bow is just simply amazing. Absolutely excellent craftsmans ship and great attention to detail. If you ever want to part with that one, please give me a call. Congratulations on your incredible bow.     Keenan