Author Topic: Osage with curves!  (Read 20984 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Osage with curves!
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:05 am »

64" Tip to tip osage, 51#@27"

It wasn't like I was planning to make this bow, but while up at the barn looking for a stave of osage for Doug to make a bow from, this very snakey split osage log caught my eye. Looking out for Doug's best interest and the fact he was to make his first bow, I thought it best that I take on this challenge and allow him a somewhat less curvey piece to seduce him!  ;D I found a nice piece with nice lines after recovering from my discovery...but I'll let him tell you that story. ;)

I split off the belly split from the log and that's what this bow was made from. The top section of the log was chased to a grain, a line was drawn following the linear grain length wise down the center of the log, and then it was cut in to with a bandsaw for Pappy and BigA to make bows from. This was by far the most snakey piece of osage I have ever attempted a bow from. It was challenging to tiller with the handle shifting out of line two different directions and a big dip right at the lower limb fades.

The grip is tanned elk hide and tanned deer hide. The deer hide was given to me by Leapingbare and he added metal during the soaking of the hide to give it the grey color. The tips are bubinga and buffalo horn, the beads are cocobollo, and the skin is timber rattler. The bow was sealed with truoil, lightly sanded and final coats were polyurethane clear satin. She shoots very nice and is center shot due to the handle rotation. I hope you like it! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Osage with curves!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:37:21 am »
a few more pics please...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Fried Pie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:44:42 am »
Most excellent in every respect!
You are a true master.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:46 am »
Beautiful work brother!  I never would have attempted it.  My patience extends to raising children and building violins.......not chasing rings in wood where they can outrun me. :)

Great full draw pic.........we would never guess at the profile of the bow if that was the only pic we had to judge by.  

Happy shooting!

piper

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:53:37 am »
Very Nice Greg.
Most fine work.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

DCM

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 09:09:25 am »
Very nicely done.  Anymore snakey is about the only thing that interests me to build a selfbow.  I'm on a quest the winter to find a suitable tree to cut next Spring.  You did that one beautfully.  Fit and finish are outstanding.  Rested profile is perfect.  Not a criticism, but objective observation, the lower limb seems a smidge stiff midlimb.  Knowing how those projects go, sometimes that tiller shape IS correct for a particular stave.  Still it would have driven me crazy during the tillering although admittedly probably makes no difference, particularly in light of the fact it still stands perfectly straight to the string and I'm assuming shoots well.  I have a weakness in that regard, chasing the image of a "perfect" tiller shape while perhaps not counting the other aspects, shooting manners in particular, as heavily as I ought.  Congradulations, that is a really, really nice project.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:13:10 am »
It's simply Beautiful, everything about it! Excellent Job!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:19:19 am by JustAim »

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:14:33 am »
DANG!!! Greg, that bow looks fantastic!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:29:36 am »
Right there folks, is the product of a man who loves to make bows, and takes an enormous amount of pride in doing it.  And you call me  a "perfectionist" ::)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Olschool

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:47:12 am »
I love snakey bows and yours is BEAUTIFUL! Those tips really set it off

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:53:20 am »
Wow I'm impressed by your bow building prowes that is very cool. Nice photography too. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline uwe

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:58:36 am »
Hmmmmmh! Sweet, nice bow!

Offline bambule

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:10 am »
WOW - all I can say...

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 10:05:08 am »
So this is what you do when Pappy leaves town! Sneek to the barn and pilfer the snakiest stave in the bunch. ::) ;D
  Incredible Greg. Your engineering degree has paid off! ;)    Excellent bow and beautiful trappings!!!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:14:44 am »
WOW !! :o :o :o :o Move over Mona lisa ;D