Author Topic: Knot on back of BL bow......opinions needed.  (Read 2867 times)

Offline smokeu

Knot on back of BL bow......opinions needed.
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:29:14 am »
This is a Black locust bow I made a while back that had some knots that i left a layer of wood over the size of a quarter.  The knot is really quite small and may have been unessisarily left built up. The problem is that the extra wood is lifting up at the edge of the knot.

Should i wrap it, super glue it, or sand it down and refinish.  Like said above it seems a little unesisary for the extra wood now, I was just trying to be cautious, there was actually another knot that i left totally bare that has done fine.  I just dont want the extra wood off the knot to pop of and compromise my back..

All help welcome!!

Thanks

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Longview, TEXAS

Offline bigcountry

Re: Knot on back of BL bow......opinions needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:37:45 am »
I have no idea.  But will curious on the advise.  If it was me, I would sinew wrap it.  If you remove the extra wood,  it will change your tiller I think. 

But I have no idea.  Just thinking.
Westminster, MD

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:04:47 am »
l've never worked with black locust before but l'm sure it needs to be chased to one complete grown ring like osage.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:26:03 am »
I have no idea.  But will curious on the advise.  If it was me, I would sinew wrap it.  If you remove the extra wood,  it will change your tiller I think. 

But I have no idea.  Just thinking.

I don't know the answer to this and am just asking, won't sinew wrapped around a limb change the tiller? It might hinge like Big said if there is quite a bit of wood that you left on the knot and depending how wide/long the knot is, but if you leave it it's going to come up and ruin that bow. If its pretty small I wouldn't think taking the extra wood off and refinishing it would hurt. I try to make sure to clean those off with a knife before I tiller now, because I have had one of the five (still a newbie, so take that into account) bows I have made break from one just like that coming apart.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:30:32 am »
I always take it down to the same ring over the knot,you have to be very careful when you go over the knot because the grain usually gets thinner over it, but it can be done just go slow and scrap lightly. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:49:33 pm »
Like Pappy said. I've made several BL bows and it is my favorite wood. I would take most of that wood off, if not all. Especially if it is a very small knot. The wood lifting on the edges is trying to tell you it doesn't want to be there.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 01:20:03 pm »
I never leave extra rings of wood over a knot, because it always does like yours is doing. Take it down to the same ring, the knot will be naturally raised. Just don't violate the back ring or cut through the knot. With knots close to the edge like that, I like to leave some extra width around them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:19 pm »
 I take it down to a single growth ring also. If I'm being cautious I'll soak some warm super-glue into it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »
Yup, that's what I do too usually, smokeu. When possible I bring it to the same growth ring. But I let the knot swirl.  Yours is right on the edge.  The knot looks to be cut off a bit. There have been times when I've had  to leave more wood around the knot. Not often though. In that case,  I feather the wood in gradually.   The other thing is heavily knotted areas should be tillered slightly stiffer  than the surrounding parts of  the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:12 pm »
i work all knots just like the rest of the back and never yet had a problem with em, knock on wood.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken