Author Topic: Northern Community Bow  (Read 142767 times)

mnewcomb59

Re: Northern Community Bow
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2007, 05:46:10 pm »
Hey guys I got the bow today. I have to straighten it a little bit so the tips lign up and then I will tiller it. I shouldn't have it for more than a week. I liked how it was packaged. The wood plug is a good idea.

mnewcomb59

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2007, 06:29:09 pm »
Hey I got the tips ligned up. Now I noticed that the stave has maybe 1 inch of deflex starting about in the middle of the handle. I will tiller it to maybe 15 inches then reflex it with the heat gun. Since the deflex starts in the handle do you want to go with a slight d/r shape or straight reflex? I'd say keep it simple stupid and go with straight reflex, but I can go either way. This is an EXCELLENT piece of osage. I dont think I have ever seen a cleaner or straighter piece in my life. Its gonna be a piece of cake to tiller. Let me know.. I will start to tiller it tomorrow.

Offline Dano

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2007, 06:39:17 pm »
Glad to hear it got to ya safe and sound. Yep it is a dandy piece of wood, I left it thick if you wanted to chase another ring, the first 3 or 4 rings were pretty thin. I like the simple straight reflex idea, but hey the bow's in your court ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

jamie

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2007, 06:54:46 pm »
matt what weight are you gonna tiller it to?

mnewcomb59

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2007, 06:57:38 pm »
Looks pretty good on the one you chased. The rings below it aren't too much bigger so I will just leave it where its at. I might take a quarter inch off the handle though because its probably close to 2 inches thick right now. If the person doing the handle reduces it it might affect the draw weight (haha ok maybe 2 pounds), so I will take a little bit off of it right now.

mnewcomb59

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2007, 11:43:37 pm »
Oops Jamie I didnt see your question until just now. I am thinking mid 50s so after sanding and breaking in it will be right around 50. Sound right?

jamie

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2007, 01:21:18 am »
sounds good to me. i'll start the shafts tomorrow afternoon

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2007, 11:57:01 am »
Matt, Can you post some pictures as you go along? ??? I think we would all like to see the progress as each step is taken. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

mnewcomb59

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2007, 12:33:00 am »
Ok here is the bow at 13" with about a 4 inch brace. The right outer limb is a little stiff. I touched up the tiller a little bit after this and then reflexed it. I will take the clamps off tomorrow and see what we have for reflex. The stave started with about 1" of natural deflex, and I am hoping for at least 1" of reflex off the form.

The right limb had the most deflex as the kink was in its fade. If you look close you can see a little bump. That is where it bends back from.

Offline Dano

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2007, 07:49:21 pm »
She's looking good Matt.

Nevada

jamie

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2007, 05:31:16 am »
looking very good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2007, 02:29:16 pm »

Just thought I would poke around up north a little and see what yall were up to! ;)

The tiller is looking mighty good so far, us johnny rebs better get a move on before yall leave us behind! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dano

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2007, 07:03:34 pm »
I believe the North won last time because we were technelogically SUPERIOR  ;D

Nevada

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2007, 07:37:02 pm »

Yeah that probably had a lot to do with it. ;)

This time around I think both the north and the south are going to be victorius...from the quality bow's I've seen posted on this site, there is way too much talent nation-wide to not have an end result of a couple of really nice bows!

Hey Ryano, any chance you might consider wearing gray camo instead of blue and helping us put those big nice recurves on our bow that you're famous for? ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2007, 07:39:39 pm »
I believe the North won last time because we were technelogically SUPERIOR  ;D

Dano, quite with the code and use words all of us can understand. ::)