Author Topic: Northern Community Bow  (Read 142895 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Northern Community Bow
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2007, 11:13:36 am »
I've been following this and things are looking good. Reminds me of the other 2 CB projects we had in the past, one of which crashed and burned. Actually I think we had 2 that crashed and burned. The EuroCB didn't make it last time around either
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2007, 11:34:49 am »
Jamie, Will you tell us about the cresting? Very unique and good looking.   Pat

ps. your footings look ok too!   lol
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2007, 12:07:22 pm »
pat aside from doing them by hand they were easy. i use paint markers and just draw them on. i keep telling myself to build a cresting jig and im sure in a few years i'll get to it. lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2007, 12:09:53 pm »
Why bother Jamie. Just something else to clutter up the shop. With work like that you don't need no stinking cresting jig.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2007, 09:01:45 am »
heres the fletching for the stone points . the field points are getting some turkey feathers a friend of mine dyed red.

Dustybaer

« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2007, 09:04:06 am »
very nice.  i like how the color of the wrap is repeated in the cresting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2007, 11:25:39 am »
Very nice, Jamie. You yanks do pretty good work.   Pat

Offline Keenan

« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2007, 11:35:35 am »
 Awesome Jamie,  The colors are great.  What do you all think for color of the points.  I made a couple yesturday out of some striped obsidian. But I have black, black with gray strips, clear/smokey brown, mahogany(black w/ red), punkin(brownish orange), gold flake obsidian and some rainbow. It's some times hard to see the rainbow colors in the points though. Also do we want these square based or barbed ?  I know many states that you can't hunt with barbed.   Keenan
  I'll dig through the rock pile I may be able to find a piece of red jasper big enough.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:38:25 am by Bornagainprimitive »

Offline Dane

« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »
That tiller looks gret Matt.
Dane, I really enjoyed the posts on weaving. Just seeing that loom made me remember my summer working in the weaving room at Callaway Mills here in JawJa. We had 4 rows of 6 of the large industrial models of looms. My job was dolpher. That meant I went down the row with a full cart of thread bobbin's on one side of me and a cart of empty bobin spindles on the other side. I took the empties off with one hand and put full bobbins on with the other. LOL's...thats was a loooong summer. ;D and those shuttles could get dangerous sometimes and fly off too.
Thanks Dane.

Thanks for the kind words, JPitt. Sorry, I've been so busy with work, I have had almost zero time for the board, or for anything else lately.

Those industrial looms are facinating beasts. They have a museum in Lowell, the Boot (sp?) mill, a preserved 19th century mill that is a National Park now, and when they crank up all 20 or so looms, it is almost deafeing, and the room shakes.

I finished card weaving a border, and so just have to get to sewing the sock together, then starting the Southern boy's sock. They saved the tater sack, thankfully.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Gordon

« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2007, 01:20:40 pm »
Wow, those arrows are really something Jamie!
Gordon

Offline Dane

« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2007, 08:23:34 pm »
Jamie, if those were my arrows, I would be terrified of using them at all, for fear of breaking or loosing them. Your work is fantastic.

Dane

jamie

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2007, 08:27:41 pm »
compliments from fellas who do work as good as you all do means a lot. thank you.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2007, 10:32:12 pm »

Dane, what's that...getting ready to start the southern bow sock? I guess you got some gray yarn in stock? ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2007, 06:52:31 am »
Don't worry about a thing, Greg. The materials are all ready, it is just getting a bit of time to get it woven. I came off a 35 days or so straight with no time off, and after one Sunday off, here I am back to a few more weeks with no time off. I'll get it done, even if I have to skip some sleep, though. I'm already a zombie - "must...eat...brains." Can't get much worse :)

Dane

jamie

« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2007, 08:52:33 am »
finished. they will go out tomorrow. have snow to plow today