Author Topic: another try  (Read 5914 times)

Offline knap_123

another try
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:14 am »
hey guys. well i'm starting another attempt at another all solo bow friday.  i  had a nice dry stave and chased a ring on it. and man did it work me. it had a mountain of a knot that i thought i'd never get a solid ring on! i got my layouy down next and after a little work started to get my  bow to statrted showing some and here i am still scrapeing for hrs on end in the heat on a pile of flint waste thinking " what the hell am i doing out here in this heat with all the mosquitos and yellow jackets buzzing out of the woods"   and for all the sweat i poured out this is what i had to show for my labor. so i woke up this mourning had my coffe and stated over again. i got it bending floor tillered yeah i no, i look smaller in close up pics.LOL  naw this is my little helper. the bow if succesful will be 63" ntn 4"handle 1" wide with 2" fades that are 1 1/2" to midlimb and tapers to 3/4" for now till i get closer to the end then i'll narrow them. i got my fingers crossed on this one and feel good about it so far. the knot worries me a little though. i dont really no how to work one like this, i guess whe i start tillering i need to go up into the knot to prevent a stiff spot on the limb huh? also i want to flip the tips, wouald this be a good time to so?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: another try
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:42:55 am »
Lookin' good.
There is no 'right' answer. I'd suggest doing some initial tillering before flipping the tips.
Say get the it to pull back about 4-5" (using a long string), but at your final target weight? That way you'll be able to see how it is bending near that knot.
Once you have it back that far, everything starts happening a bit quick, so it's a good point to stop and do some thinking anyway! ;D
Out of interest, I'd have tried to get that centre line running straight down both limbs (or as near as possible) to avoid the bow trying to twist in the hand, mind you a lottle offset like that can give you a near centre shot, and as the bow comes back it will tend to sort itself out.
Have fun, it's good to have a little helper, mine came field shooting with me yesterday, she's as big as me now and was shooting one of my 40lb Hazel bows :)
Good luck, that's a pretty looking stave.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:32:57 am »
I would leave it a little stiff through the knot and if it all goes well and you are sure you want to flip the tips I would do it after it was shot in.I always do it last and then tweak the tiller a little if needed.
most times it won't need much. Looking good so far. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:52:05 am »
What Pappy said. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:35 am »
thanks pappy, i'll do that  i'm wanting a 55# bow that i can just shoot for fun.

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:30:42 am »
I agree with Pappy, nothing wrong with leaving that area with the knot a little stiff, get it bending too much and you may have problems. Enjoy your little helper now, it won't be long she'll grown and gone.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »
i gota chance to work on this bow today and stemed in some reflex at the handle. then i strung it in reflex to set for awhile.  i'm a little concerened i might have a little bit more bend in the left fade. will this be a problem? shouald i take a little out or go with it?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:00:52 pm by knap_123 »

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:10:53 pm »
Yeah, I'd take some of that out. You would have been better off to steam it an clamp it to a form. I would dry heat the reflex out of the left limb, the right looks ok.

Nevada

Offline knap_123

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:14:09 pm »
thanks, how long wouald suggest before i attempt this?

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:29:57 pm »
Depends on how long since you steamed it, I would let it dry before I used dry heat, to prevent checking, but since you steamed it, you could steam it again and remove some of the reflex.

Nevada

Offline knap_123

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:36:05 pm »
thats what i'll use, i seem to have better results with steam

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:32:58 am »
Maybe just some localised steam and it will relax out a tad on it's own?
That's just idle musing so terms and conditions apply contestants must be over 18 etc :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 06:40:37 pm »
ok i got this bow to brace height at 5" and its pulling at 19" around 45lbs. i want 27" about 55#  whats it look like i need to do?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »
Stay away from the fades and work more from before mid limb out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 10:51:28 pm »
That is a crazy knot on that one. Character for sure :o
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark