Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 201941 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #405 on: March 22, 2007, 08:31:23 am »
Great job, Shannon! Somebody should definitely be very happy to own it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

bullcreekboy

« Reply #406 on: March 22, 2007, 12:28:11 pm »
Thanks guys. Pat are you making a black and red flemish twist string for it? I am like you, I perfer a loop on one end and a bowyers knot on the other.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: March 22, 2007, 07:09:52 pm »
Shannon, I can make the string. Should I? If so, what length is the bow?       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #408 on: March 22, 2007, 09:16:37 pm »
Pat, If no one objects I would say go for it. Is there anyone else out there that would like to make a string for the bow? I can send the bow to that person, or they can send the string to who ever ends up with it. The rattan arrived today. You are too generous Pat. I have it soaking in the sink as we speak.

bullcreekboy

« Reply #409 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:34 pm »
Pat you have ruined me.  ;D I love how the rattan looks and it is a very easy application that gives a good grip to the bow. What do you guys think about staining the rattan with some brown wood die? It might make it blend in a little better. Here is how my attempt turned out. Let know what you guys think. After it dries I will cut off the tag end and give it a light sanding.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: March 23, 2007, 12:38:02 am »
Shannon, You done good again!  If you will notice, rattan has a rind on it like bamboo. I have tried dying it and it came out splotchy. You might want to do a few tests first before you dye the wrap. Also, after it dries, put super glue around the top and botton edge and where the tag goes under the wrap and anywhere along the wrap where there might be a gap. This will lock it in.  You may see rattan "hairs" when it dries. You can cut them off or what I do is use a lighter and just burn them off. Do this before you seal it. Sanding with fine paper will smooth out ant rough spots.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jpitts

« Reply #411 on: March 23, 2007, 01:40:09 am »
Wow Shannon.....you done a fantastic job. I love it. Gotta get me one of those fine sharpies, very artistic lettering and the rattan looks great .
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #412 on: March 23, 2007, 04:08:41 am »
This bow is coming out real good, well done Shannon,.. how long is that handle ??
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #413 on: March 23, 2007, 07:12:12 am »
Looking better as it moves along,you guys are great. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jbell

« Reply #414 on: March 23, 2007, 09:27:57 pm »
You fellas are doin anexcellent job. Can't wait till it is done. Btw, rattan wrap looks great Shannon.
Justin Blunt

bullcreekboy

« Reply #415 on: March 23, 2007, 11:40:17 pm »
Thanks Guys. I won't be able to work on it until next week.  :( My house is getting in the way of my bow building again. Manny, the handle is 4".

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2007, 12:23:32 am »
Thanks Shannon, how come it looks like there's so much handle on top of the arrow rests ??

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

bullcreekboy

« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2007, 12:31:23 am »
It must be because I took the picture so close. Here is what it looks like a little farther away.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2007, 01:28:42 am »
I see,...I really like how neet your shelfs are ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Dustybaer

« Reply #419 on: March 24, 2007, 05:56:49 pm »
you guys probably gave up on me, but here's another step towards completing the quiver:  the lower strap including the sheath.  it's made fromone piece of leather. endles and stichless, so to speak  ;D