Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 206397 times)

bullcreekboy

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »
Yep Greg that is what it will be getting. The sturgeon skins I have are small so I will have to do one limb wrap on each limb at the joint. I will try to position them so they are symetrical. Who is inline after me? Or am I supposed to put the finish and handle wrap on it also?

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2007, 10:55:02 am »
BTW Shannon, be sure to look in the envelope that is the mailing label on the tube, Pappy put a note in there that if not for the lady at the post office, would have snuck by me. ;D

Dustybaer

« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2007, 12:11:49 pm »
i finished the hood today.  this is roughly what it's going to look like.  next is the strap with the built in sheath.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bullcreekboy

« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2007, 12:31:54 pm »
Lookin good Marius.
Pat,
It doesn't look like we have anybody in line for the bow after it comes to me. Anybody out there want to put a handle wrap or finish on it? If we want the rattan handle wrap on it I guess you need to send it to me. I looked for some yesterday in town so you wouldn't have to bother with it but I struck out. Where do you purchase it at? Here is my address.
Shannon King
205 West Clinton
Rogersville, MO 65742
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:41:04 pm by bullcreekboy »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2007, 01:01:11 pm »
Shannon, I'll be happy to send the rattan to you if you want to do it. I have plenty to spare.  I have bought rattan caning from Ben Franklin's and other craft type stores. From those places it came in a kit. The last time I got some, it came in bulk from a local craft store. I'll get it in the mail to you early next week.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2007, 01:09:09 pm »
Sounds great Pat. There is a Ben Franklin store in downtown Branson. I will have to check it out next time I am down there. I don't mind doing the rest of the stuff that is left to do. I just wanted to make sure I don't do it and someone else was inline for it. You're going to have to give me a little tutorial on how to put it on. Do we want an arrow rest on it or just shot off of the hand? I can put a Truoil finish on it or a urethane finish. I wish Dano was on our side. It puts on a killer T-Bird finish that looks like it is mile deep. ;D 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2007, 01:40:07 pm »
Shannon, I can walk you through the application. It is very simple. I think an arrow rest should be added. Not everyone can or will want to shoot off of their hand. I usually use shoe leather saturated in super glue for an arrow rest. I can send some of that along also.
   I would use the Tru-oil. With enough coats, you can get a deep finish with it also. If you give the bow a good hand rubbed oil treatment first, the grain will really jump. I usually use linseed oil for this but I think tung oil does a better job. You will have to let the oil dry well for a few days first before adding the Tru-oil.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2007, 02:15:11 pm »
Pat,No need to send the leather. That is exactly how I make my arrow rests also. I will pick up some tung oil in town this week. I have never tried that. I like trying new things.  I always just apply the Tru-Oil. I usually go with six or seven coats of Tru-Oil with some sanding and steel wool in between and then follow it up with a couple coats of wax. How flexible is the rattan? Do I need to steam it or soak it before I wrap it around the handle? I assume that I need to apply in to the handle about half way through the finishing process so it gets some finish on it aswell. I assume I glue one end of the rattan down to the handle and wrap over it and when I get the end of the handle I tuck the tag end under the wrap. Is that correct?  Do we want this thing to have an arrow rest on both sides of the handle so it can be used by a lefty and righty? Sorry for all of the questions I just don't want to screw it up. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2007, 02:36:25 pm »
   A double shelf would be good just in case.  When I'm puting rattan wrap I'll soak the rattan in warm water while I'm getting everything ready. About 30 minutes should do. Then remove it from the water and remove the excess water and begin wrapping like you would with a string serving. I don't glue the beginning first. Usually I like to wrap so the wrap goes the dirrection of the shooting hand fingers. This will prevent the wrap from loosening with time. I'd do it for right hand because most folks are right handed(even though you will have a double shelf).  When you get to the end tuck the tag end under at least 3 wraps and pull tight. You may have to use a small awl of something simular to adjust where the wrap goes under the rest.
   When it is totally dry, usually the next day, trim the excess rattan. Then I add super glue, between the wrapping at both ends to secure them but also anywhere it will go between the wraped rattan along the handle. After that has dried I sand the rough parts of the rattan with fine sand paper and and the finish oner the wrap as you do the rest of the bow. If there are rattan "hairs" left after sanding a flame will eliminate them.
   A couple of coats of Tru-Oil on the handle area before the wrap will seal the handle area under the wrap.     Pat

bullcreekboy

« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2007, 02:41:16 pm »
Thanks for the info Pat. It almost sounds too easy. LOL I may be asking for help if I run into any trouble. I hope I do this bow justice. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2007, 02:43:03 pm »
I'm sure you will do fine Shannon but if you have any questions, just ask!   Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2007, 07:30:41 am »
Looking good so far.Looks like it is all coming together.If I am needed just holler.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2007, 07:32:18 am »
I didn't really have anything to say,just wanted us back on top. :D
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2007, 09:38:26 am »
 ;) ;D ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2007, 03:52:16 pm »
Shannon, I put the rattan in the mail this afternoon. You should have it in a few days.  Greg, I put some in the mail for you also. You will have to share yours with Pappy, though. There is plenty for both of you.   Pat