Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 202043 times)

Offline jpitts

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:41 am »
NorthShore, your about as southern as it gets here. I was fortunate to visit the islands a few years ago. Went to one of those luau's (sp?) at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Had a great time. Don't know if I could take having those purple biscuits alot.....but they were good. Found an Archery range in the park at the end of Waikiki. Wish I'd have taken my bow and arrows. Between there , Kona, and Hilo I saw some good hunting areas.  One area near Hilo looks like Jurassic Park.....spooky.

Dane, I'm with you. never liked those brains much either....nor cracklin cornbread. Almost broke a tooth once. But now give me a big glass of buttermilk and cornbread and a big onion, and I'm ready to watch raslin on the tube. Don't worry but coming over to our side, that Mason Dixon line is further North than most folks realize   :D

I love the way the points look, Cowboy, and the bow looks great Pappy. Wish my skills were up there enough to help out. Maybe after I get a few hundred bows under my belt like you guys.  :)

Ya'll remember me in yoor prayers this weekend. I'm taking 14 teens skiing in Gatlinburg. It's gonna be fun. I'll check back in Monday night. 
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline jpitts

« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2007, 01:46:17 am »
Dane, thanks for the recipe. I printed it and gave it to the wife......can't wait to sink a tooth in it.

I've got plenty of water buffalo horn strip left if ya'll want to put that on the tips. It sure buffs out nicely. I've made some arrow nocks out of it.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2007, 07:10:07 am »
Anyone know how the rest of the stuff is coming along?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2007, 08:08:51 am »
i'm going to spend this weekend working on the quiver and sheath.  my wife's out partying, so i can turn the dining room into a workshop again.  i got all the needed measurements, but i want to make sure we're sticking to 6 arrows.  is that still status quo?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2007, 10:07:38 am »
Marius, I'm working on 6 arrows(3 with Cowboy's store heads, 3 without). I'll send them on to Justin to complete the arrows(nocks, fletching, etc).      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2007, 09:15:29 pm »
Hillbilly, bout time someone wrote some good southern english on one of these here threads! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2007, 12:01:12 pm »
  I'm a thinkin ya boys better slow down a bit. you'll have that bow done shot out and wore out befor us northerns get an arra on the string. Lookin purty good for a bunch of rednecks,,,,lol  I better go back home now I think I've taunted the troups enough,,,,,,,lol   Keenan

Offline Little John

« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2007, 12:03:13 pm »
Have you guys planned what you will do with the bow set, and where the procedes will go? The last one sold too cheap, have you considered a lotterey, maybe 100 chances @ 10.00$ each. Just a thought, awsome bow, good work every one.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2007, 01:36:04 pm »
Kenneth, My thoughts are to send them to the Elk Federation, Quality Deer Management of the Turkey Federation for them to raffle off at one of their conventions, in the name of Prinitive Archer Magazine. Folks go to these banquits with thoughts of spending money to support the organization. I thiunk it would give PA good press also.
  I've got the hardwood shafts, some with Cowboy's points hafted and some bare shoots, ready to send to Justin. I don't know if I should wait for Marius to send the quiver and sheath first or go ahead and send these now and the quiver when I get it.
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2007, 02:31:51 pm »
Good idea Pat, hope they sell good.Might be a good idea to let every one here know when and where so they could bid or buy chances.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2007, 02:52:19 pm »
Kenneth, These are just my thoughts about what to do with the Community bow sets. We need imput and suggestions from everyone envolved though.   Pat

Dustybaer

« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2007, 03:16:56 pm »
pat, i'm not sure what to tell you.  i've spent the last two days trying things out, but all i've accomplished is the boot and the stiffener.  it's stitchless alright, but it's also driving me nuts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2007, 03:33:10 pm »
Here are the shafts for the Southern Community Bow project. Three are hafted with the beautiful stone heads that Cowboy contributed(hafted with pitch glue and sinew, sealed with super glue). The materials used for these arrows are sourwood(Oxydendrum arboreum), Buffalo Nut(Pyrularia pubera),
privet(Ligustrum japonicum), and silky dogwood(Cornus amomum). The 3 hafted arrows are sourwood(camo), buffalo nut(tan colored) and privet(white colored).
   For those not familiar with buffalo nut...dioecious shrub, 1.6-3.3 meters tall, believed to be parasitic on roots of deciduopus trees and shrubs. Grows through out the mountains and adjacient piedmont in NC, VA, Ga, Tenn, KY, and WV. This is the only species of this genus that grows in the US. I have heard it is related to mistletoe. The genus name "Pyrularia" refers to the oils in the nut. I've been told that a cotton thread can be strung through the nut and when lit, will act like a candle.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2007, 03:36:19 pm »
Marius, Looks good to me...especially with that one arrow with the turkey feathers. LOL    Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2007, 04:23:37 pm »
Hmm, Pat .....that red thread and fluffy fur looks a bit familiar........
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.