Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 201775 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2007, 07:49:43 pm »
Lookin good Pappy and Greg - I always enjoy peering into the depths of that shop, see something different every time - lots of racks on the wall there.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

bullcreekboy

« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2007, 08:07:24 pm »
Here is a picture of what the sturgeon skins look like.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2007, 09:15:23 pm »
bullcreekboy the bow is 68 in n-n if we want it shorter I can do that,I just wasn't sure on how much this wood would take and
it needs to be tillered to 28 and I don't want any more set than I have to have.Maybe someone could clue me in on the wood. I have it to 17 in.@31 lbs.Brought it home to dry out good and plan on finishing it This weekend and send it on it's way.We are
shooting for the low 50's@28.If yall want it shorter speak now or forever hold you piece.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

bullcreekboy

« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2007, 10:59:50 pm »
Pappy,
I have never worked the wood before. Is it taking alot of set? I would have thought it would have been good and dry. I kept in the hot box most of the time with one bulb on to keep the humidity around 50%. I am like you and Greg. I very seldom make a bow over 64" but my draw length is only 26". If it isn't taking any set I would think we could shorten it some. I know Manny made some of his bows around 60". He also made one for the ABC challenge that was 58". Is your impression that the wood isn't dry? It may be like hickory and really suck up the moisture. Do you and Greg think we can get 28" of draw out of it if it is 65" ttt? I wish I could be more help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2007, 12:02:53 am »
Shannon, The sturgeon skin will be great for this bow. I will send you, or who ever, the rattan for the handle. How wide are the skins and how wide is the bow? Can you split a skin lengthwise so you can use only 2 skins?
  I never worked guava before either. I believe Manny would heat treat the bellies of his bows.    I would think that 65" would be long enough for a 28" draw.
   Dane, That would be a wonderful jesture of North/South cooperation. A woven bow sock would be a heck of a lot better than Greg's tater sack...even with the writing showing. You will forever be in our debt...and out of our picket sites.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2007, 12:50:39 am »
Pat,
I don't think the skins are wide enough to split down the middle. I have plently of them so using three is no big deal as long as you guys don't mind a silk wrapping on the limbs at the joint in the skins. You will have to give me a tutorial on the rattan handle wrap.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2007, 01:21:24 am »
I don't think a bit of serving will hurt the appearance. As a matter of fact, I like the look. I'll be happy to walk you through the rattan handle wrap. It is very simple...just like adding a serving to the center of a bow string. Let me know when you are ready for it and I'll send it along. It probably ought to be one of the last things done to the bow. I like to have some finish on the bow first then more finish over the handle wrap.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2007, 06:30:59 am »
It isn't taking much set yet so I will cut it down to 65 n-n.I just don't want to mess this up.If
it was mine I wouldn't worrier about it or if was about any other kind of wood cause I could just replace it,but we don't have any of this in Tennessee.I will keep yall updated.I plan on finishing it
this week and weekend.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2007, 08:39:22 am »

We'll all cross our fingers...there is a knot in one limb that we were worried about, Pappy has had to avoid when scrapping to make sure it doesn't hinge.

Dane, that would be great on the bow sock. Was worrying where I was go na put all them taters if we used the sack! ;D  You're okay for a yank, if you get captured when on a scouting mission behind our lines, just ask for Pappy and I...we'll share our meals with you. Had some great fried possum and turnip greens just last night! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2007, 12:31:08 pm »
Greg, my pleasure. You are okay for a reb, as well.

I would have suggested you just cook the potatoes, but you don't have to worry now. And thanks - I'd love to try the possum with you two. Do you saute it with olive oil and fine herbs? :) Us high-brow Yanks have high culinary expectations.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2007, 12:53:50 pm »
No, we fry 'em in hog lard with sweet taters, ramps and poke sallet. Can't get much more sophisticated cuisine than that  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2007, 01:56:10 pm »
Hillbilly, Them Yanks are gonna think you are atalkin with a ferrin tongue. What time is dinner?   Pat

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2007, 02:10:23 pm »

Hillbilly, I couldn't have said it better! Makes my mouth water, now what's the main course tonight...maybe some ground-hog!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2007, 02:27:05 pm »
No, we fry 'em in hog lard with sweet taters, ramps and poke sallet. Can't get much more sophisticated cuisine than that  ;D

I can figure out that you mean pork fat, sweet potatoes, and some sort of salad?

You Southern boys really do speak another language! :) I should go buy a dictionary, maybe.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2007, 02:31:08 pm »
...."Culinary expectations"-huh ?...........bob