Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 201776 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06:50 am »
Lookin good rebels...... ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2007, 08:37:34 am »

Thanks yank! ;D

Thank you Pat, I'm hopeful for a good bow out of this one.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2007, 11:24:24 am »
I was a fraid of that (the weight I mean) going to have to get a scale. Hope you can make them work.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2007, 12:37:02 pm »
No problem Cowboy. With the range of weights you sent, we have all the bases covered.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2007, 08:59:52 pm »
well I'm back,I will get started on the tiller tomorrow.Looks like Greg has it in good shape for that.He picked it up at
the post office for me.The mail carrier out here won't bring something that long,and the post office is 20 miles on the other side of town.Greg works close by so he got it.I will see it in the morning we plan a squirrel hunt so he will be over.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

bullcreekboy

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »
How was the hunt Pappy? Glad you made it back alright.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2007, 11:44:47 pm »
 Hope you had a good hunt Pappy,get my PM?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
Pat, I'm up for anyting.  If you want to haft the points haft away. If you want to send them to me I will haft then.  If you want me to fletch the shafts, and let someone else haft so more can participate or haft and let someone fletch, so more can participate that works too.  Send me whatever and tell me what to do. I do my best work when someone tells me what to do, just ask my wife. OH wait she said I ONLY WORK when she tells me what to do.  ::) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2007, 12:10:47 am »
Justin, If anyone wants to haft the points they  are welcome. If not I'll haft them and send them on to you for nocks, fletching and finishing. How does that sound. I did some more hardwood shoot straightening yesterday but not done yet. Ended up spending a couple of hours with Steve(turning over tha staves) this afternoon chewing the fat and showing off staves and almost bows. Two NC fools standing in a parking lot with temps in the 30, light flurries and a strong cold wind. What we do for our beloved sport(addiction).     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2007, 06:32:50 am »
Yes I got your pm Mullet,I got started tillering the stave Sat.It is going pretty well.I will have some pictures as soon as I get caught up on some work.It has a knot on one limb that is giving a little trouble but I think it will work out OK.I have it out to 17 in. and it is 31lbs.at that draw.I plan on working on it this week and should have it ready to send on next week.Got it in a dry place for now.It looks a lot like Iron wood and works like Hackberry.Got some pictures of the hunt also,I didn't get a hog but some of my buddies did.My shooting wasn't all that good,what't new about that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2007, 01:41:09 pm »
Well here are some Pictures so far.More as I go along.I can see already you don't want to get in a hurry with this wood and all of us need to be sure and keep it dry as we pass it around.Dry it a day or 2 as each person gets it before drawing it to full draw until it is sealed.There is one knot in each limb with some funny grain,I think it will be OK but it makes it a challenge to tiller,you look at one side and it looks fine and move to the other and don't look so good.I will keep ya updated.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2007, 05:02:12 pm »
lookin good so far guys! ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2007, 02:15:16 pm »

Ryan, looks like you and I are acting as scouts... ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2007, 03:32:42 pm »
Here I am, waiving a white flag and hoping your pickets don't plug me.

If you guys want a hand woven bow sock, I'd be happy to do it. But, I have a big weaving project scheduled for after the Yankee "Zuove Red" one. When do you want this?

Say, when are all these projects supposed to come together? Union intelligence is foggy in that respect.

I have some undyed wool which is, if memory serves me, a nice grayish brown, so it should suit your rebel color tastes. I will do a nice twill weave, which is different than the Northern tabby weave I am using on the in-progress one. Tabby, btw, is regular up and down grid weave.

Now, back to my lines. I hear dinner is salt pork and hard tack. I can't get enough of that stuff.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

bullcreekboy

« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:34 pm »
I went back through this post trying to figure out who is going to do what. It looks like skeaterbait gets it next for tip overlays. Who is going to put the skins on it? The weather has put my house building behind so I have some free time. I have a set of sturgeon skins I can put on it. They are short, so I would have to use three skins. I could center the splices on the limbs and wrap them with silk thread. What do you guys think? I can get some pictures of them posted later tonight. Just an idea. Since I have some free time I thought I might try to contribute more. Who is doing the handle wrap and finish? PatB volunteered some ratan for the handle wrap. Dane the offer for the bow sock is generous.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:39:07 pm by bullcreekboy »