Author Topic: Belly Tempering, a Test  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: Belly Tempering, a Test
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:43:45 pm »
I got this tip from Ryan and it works great. String it backwards and run the belly over an electric burner till it gets nice and golden brown.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 06:57:34 am »

and then i need to ask,will it change the tiller?
[/quote]

It might,.....I would clamp with a maximum 1", and if it has string follow at the moment I would just clamp it straight.

I tryed several different belly tempering methods, the one that works best for me is :     getting the gun farely close ( about 1" ) I keep it moving steady on a 6" area untill the back is hot, than I move up and work the next 6" area, but, I overlap 3" on the previous, than keep going on overlapping every 3" and working on a 6" area at a time, ...this way the wood takes very little color but lots of deep heat.

belly tempering, like every other tecnique will take time to get it right, can't expect to nail it right of the bat  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:08 am »
I think most people try to go to fast when doing belly tempering, as Pappy said the heat needs to penetrate. If you just quickly scorch the belly its useless.
I stay about 4" to 5" away and do about a 6" section at a time, the bow is clamped to a form adding reflex at the same time. I also think it works best on whitewoods,
it helps some on osage but is not necessary as osage is strong in compression to start with. Also I add reflex after its been long stringed and is bending evenly, then when its about 90% tillered I put it back on the form and toast the belly. You guys need to pick up a copy of TBB Vol 4 and read Marc's chapter :) If you decide to but please buy it from Horsefeathers Ranch as the purchase will support PA and this board(I know a shameless plug eh ;)) Belly tempering isn't a cure all or even necessary but it is another tool that can be used to boost the performance, but as with all tools it has to be used properly.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TBod

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 05:33:47 pm »
What's the effect on tempering the back? Stronger but less elastic sort of, more likely to break without a warning? Would be interresting to know..

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 07:53:37 am »
All the experts say heating the back of a bow will result in a broken bow. Of course they could be wrong :o
but I would have to agree on this one :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI