Author Topic: yew holmegaard  (Read 8159 times)

AKAPK

Re: yew holmegaard
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 02:33:58 am »
What Kinda food Are ya gonna get widit there Radius?
I can't do such a thing here, I just liked making Bows and giving them away kinda.

radius

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 02:49:11 am »
gonna get deer

food plus materials ok

this bow is for u pk

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 03:10:33 am »
Radiius, sorry I didn't mean to alarm you or even try to over critique. It was just a word of caution from an experience of something that happened to me once. I had a real nice bow that was Juniper with halibut backing and it had long laburnum tips. I was pushing the limits getting them as narrow as possible. But in the process had removed some of the belly wood ,making the string groves end up being past the end of the wood when at full draw. I was confident in it and had shot it many times then went to full draw and she let lose. The string angle pulling at full draw acted like a fulcrum point on the end of the wood because it wasn't pulling into the wood but rather off the end and the glue joint failed. It sprung back so hard that it snapped in half right at the handle the opposite way.
  You have a very fine looking weapon and being yew you will probably be fine. I wish you all the luck on your hunting adventures, keep us posted on the hunting forum ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 06:32:01 am »
Thanks for the front view pics makes all the difference to see the bow from all angles,
I like to see the front view so I can compare it to the tiller. To me the two are interrelated.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 10:35:04 am »
Keenan:  no worries, man, i wasn't that alarmed:  it was just ironic...if you look at my buildalong for this one, you'll see how the tips evolved...I wonder what kind of glue you  used on that one that broke?  I used tb2.   Fingers crossed!

Dana, glad i could oblige.

I realized i didn't put in any specs about this bow at all.

63" tip to tip, 62" ntn. 

Bending Limbs:  16"

handle:  4" + 2" each way for the fades

Back:  "almost" a single growth ring, with traces of a ring above it left for design...the back is CROWNED

Belly:  flat

Draw Weight:  approx. 58# @ 28"

Tips:  Rosewood with yew inlays...the tips were shaped to imitate a slight recurve

Finish:  Tru-Oil

AKAPK

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 04:00:42 am »
What do you mean "this bow is for u pk"? ??? I was just wondering what Kind of Game there was up there.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
Nice bow Scott
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

radius

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 10:28:18 am »
oh nothing PK...a couple weeks ago i was posting all these pics of yew wood i'd brought home, and you wrote "please make a bow"...so i made one...voila!

Marc...thanks.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »
Very cool. Doesn't yew make for the most attractive wood? Bookmarked, too, for July Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

radius

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
thanks oldbow, yeah i love the yew...this is the 2nd yew bow i've made...third is on the way!

AKAPK

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:27 pm »
Thats Cool, Mind started wandering :)Bow looks pretty cool

radius

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 10:26:08 pm »
thanks PK...i like your stuff too...the way you paint them is beyond my talents

radius

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 11:32:32 am »
You know, I was very interested in following the thread you came up with and the heavy responses about the sculpting aspect of bow making and it's pursuit.  Did you start out looking for perfection?  I haven't made a bow yet that I've sanded perfectly smooth and taken out all the little things that make the bow...the bow.  I don't know if I want to do that.  I wonder how many people here are looking for perfection in what they make and I wonder who takes the most pleasure from what they've done?
Good stuff, man.   Puff puff, pass. ;D

parnell, why not bring this question up in that other thread about the imagination and the wood? 

Me, i know that the bow just needs to shoot:  bend, and not break.  But i like em pretty, too...

radius

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 02:57:10 pm »
I was pushing the limits

that's all bowmaking is, as far as i'm concerned...pushing the limits until the object at hand conforms to the style and function you intend for it...i bet bowyer's as a breed are just that kind of people:  always stretching the envelope...

radius

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 04:41:31 pm »
Hey, sweet bow, I recently made 'Mr Wobbly' just to show how bad a stave you can make a bow of.
I'm a bit unsure of all this 'doesn't look like a Holmgaard' etc...c'mon guys, that Holmgaard is just ONE bow do you think the bowyer who made it did every bow like that???
I think we need to be open to all 'ideas' whilst remembering that every bow is unique.
Find the bow in the stave...as Bart Simpson might say..'be of the stave'  ;)

BTW, the shortening toggle on the tillering string is a good trick, just a piece of plywood with two holes in it, allows the string to be progressively shortened, and can even be shot (just for test purposes, if you are as impatient as I am  :o)
Del
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:45:27 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.