Author Topic: Thoughts on Hickory Board  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Parnell

Thoughts on Hickory Board
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:07:14 am »
I was given this hickory board.  Haven't had a board like this with so thick heartwood growth rights.  How does the darker heartwood stand up?

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline adb

Re: Thoughts on Hickory Board
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »
I don't use hickory for anything other than backing strips. I don't think that board would be of much use to me. I know from experience that the darker heartwood is not as good. I look for clear sapwood boards for making backings.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:45:17 pm »
I have built a few boardbows from hickory and several have had a dose of dark heartwood in them.  I am usually more concerned with how the grain runs out on the four corners of the wood.  From the view of the end grain, I would guess this may be a tough bow to pull out of the stock.  Remember, every grain run out on the back of the bow is another strike against your odds of survival. 

Ultimately, since you will have not much more than time invested in the bow, go for it!  Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:42:31 pm »
Hickory makes good bows whether from a log or board. That's a rift cut stave. I look at the edge grain to see how may run ups or run outs there are. More on my site. jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!