Author Topic: ipe-bamboo-holmegaard  (Read 7109 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
ipe-bamboo-holmegaard
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »
My latest bow pics, its boo backed ipe that I tried to follow a holmegaard stye tiller with thin- non bending tips. Its 64" ntn and 65lbs drawweight, it is 1 1/8" wide at the the widest  section. After unbracing it returns to 1/2" of reflex and it weighs 22oz, this is below the predicted mass for a bow of this type, according to TBB 4,but I still think the tips could be thinner. The long unbending tips give a short working area near the handle so it is pretty fast, and the skinny tips give virtualy no hand shock It is a really nice bow to shoot ,  its a great design that out shoots my recurves easily, which is a pity because I prefer the shape of recurves

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:05:33 am by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline medicinewheel

Re: ipe-bamboo-holmeguard
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:57:28 pm »
WOW, that's a nice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:21 pm »
very very nice. wow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »
As a big fan of all things Holmegaard, this is an excellent example. Very well done. Your tiller is very representitive of the Holmegaard design. Yes, they shoot very fast.

radius

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39:23 pm »
i like it too, man...i love how it shows no set

Offline Barrage

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:32:47 pm »
Looks like a well executed Holmeguard, nice bow. :)
Travis

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:57:52 am »
Thanks for the copliments, here a few more pics, I've yet to finish the handle. Heres a pic of how I took 2 pieces of bamboo from side by side in the the pole and joined them in the centre of the bow . I find this gives a more balanced bow and makes tillering easier than using a single peice of bamboo where  the the nodes end up in different places on each limb and can make problems.  Do you guys think I should thin the tips further??

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:02:16 am by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DanaM

Re: ipe-bamboo-holmegaard
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:36:44 am »
Very nicely done, congrats :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:54:12 am »
i think the tips should be as thin as absolutely possible without breaking or bending.  Yours look great. 

Offline Cromm

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
Very nice work D, I love the look of that bow,SWEET!!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 10:11:49 am »
Jim Hamm says to thin the outter limbs till they just barely start to bend at full draw and that is when you know when you have reduced the tips as much as possible. Check the bend in the outer limb with a short straight edge. You can reduce limb tip mass more by narrowing than thinning. You can have scarry narrow tips if the thickness is enough. All in all iot looks about right and a real nice bow I would finish the handle and call it done. Have you flight shot it for distance? This is how I check performance in my bows. I am also a fan of holmies and think they are all in all the best design going.        Kenneth
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:15:19 am by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 11:49:15 am »
What a dandy weapon. Can't be any handshock with this one. We'll look at it at the end of the month for July Laminate BOMFUN :D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 05:56:26 pm »
thanks again,  I think you are right Kenneth, I checked with a straight edge and theres a very slight begginnings of a bend at about 7-8" so I'm gonna leave it there. I will probably do a range test as soon as it stops raining!! (dont know what happenned to summer!!??~)

Offline Cromm

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 04:22:22 pm »
Summer in the UK is when the rain is warmer than the winter rain........
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

AKAPK

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 02:39:12 am »
Very interesting, I like that, never seen a boo backed holmy before Sure looks like a winner to me, what did ya use to glue the backing with?