Author Topic: painted bow advise(pics appreciated)  (Read 6498 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
painted bow advise(pics appreciated)
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:37:34 am »
 hey everyone, i was looking through the bow gallery and saw some really nice painted bows, and was wondering if any painter here had a prefrence on whether staining the wood made a huge difference on the paint, and what paint works real well on wood, ect ect. pictures are greatly appreciated, thanks, jimmy.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline medicinewheel

Re: painted bow advise(pics appreciated)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:35:16 am »
I have used India ink on rawhide backings with great success!
Dyeing underneath the rawhide shouldn't be a problem; planing to do that on one of the next bows.
Frank from Germany...

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:41:09 pm »
 thanks, i appreciate it- is india ink pretty easy to obtain, or do special order it (or make it?) -jimmy

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:05 pm »
No problem to find commercial India ink of various colours and qualities in any art supply store.
If you want your bow paintings to be more on the native American side you can also use acrylic paints (works well on plain wood or rawhide or silk backings) or natural earth pigments (I have no experience with those).
Frank from Germany...

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 03:57:21 pm »
 oh ok, thanks- what i had in mind was nature still life on the back of a longbow- appreciate it man, thanks. -jimmy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »
Walmart has acrylic craft paint is many colors that work well on bow backs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Adam Keiper

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »
This was done with paint pens.  Run some tests to see which ones will work with which finish.  Some are OK under regular spar urethane, and some will bleed unless covered in water based poly.  In any case, I like to lay down 3 or 4 coats of finish before painting to keep the lines crisp and not bleeding into the wood.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hodge

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:18:56 pm »
where is the gallery located?

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »
 thats a real nice bow, i love the finish- thanks for the tip, see i always thought you painted the bow then sealed it- really appreciate it. -jimmy

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:17 am »
I've used professional quaity acyrlics, and with just three primary colors (red, blue, yellow) and the color wheel theory, you can have any color you wish, far more than ready mixed colors. Get white too, that helps when mixing colors. Invest in good quality paints if you can. Acrylics come in small to very large tubes, and also in jars. Since acylics are a kind of plastic, they work well as the wood bends.

Other paints I have used are milk paint. You can make it a thin wash to very heavy. You thin it with water, and clean up is very simple. If you use milk paint, I dont recommend painting over any kind of finish, just on raw wood. I doubt you can get very hard lines like Adam did. Acrylics would be much better for masking and also careful hand work. Millk paints, though, use natural materials for pigmentation, so you are getting earth tones. My kitchen walls are a mustard, and that was probably yellow ochre, though I am not sure. I also used a grayish blue for the bedroom, and I suspect it uses lapis. The exact recipes are, I assume, proprietary, so I am not sure what they use exactly.

I've been thinking of trying oil paints. I saw some Russian folk art that uses oils in very intricate designs, washers, and other effects. Really fantastic look, but oils take a long time to dry (dont actually ever totally dry).

Russian icon paintings are facinating to me, also. They use egg tempuras, along with gold and silver leaf and other materials, and are usualy varnished. Traditionally, icons are done on wooden panels, so they should work well on wooden bows. Egg white is supposed to be a good selection when using earth pigments, as well.

You may want to look at the French and Spanish cave paintings for ideas, as well as medieval art, particularly illuminated manuscripts for painting ideas. Egyptian skewed perspective works are very cool, too, but I am not sure what kinds of paints they used. Oh, some of the Tut bows were gessoed and covered with gold leaf, but probably were never intended to be drawn or shot.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 08:35:54 pm »
I use walmart acrylic
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:19:20 pm »
Walmart acrilic for me also.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 08:43:05 am »
I've had good luck with Wal-mart acrylic, too. If you want a subdued, "old" look, wipe a thin coat of stain on over the paint.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 06:08:17 pm »
 awesome pics, and that stain procedure is a really good tip- i love the blue backed bow. appreciate the help, hopefully i can post the longbow i waqnt to paint, it mite take a while though, i want to do it right. thanks, -jimmy

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 08:42:37 pm »
I too use the Apple Barrel Acrylic Paints from Wal-Mart....and I love them....I don't seal the wood first either...I let them soak in like a Pigment Paint....then seal the Bow when they dry

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome