Author Topic: VM QUESTION  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Blacktail

VM QUESTION
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:05 pm »
I have a piece of vm that is 58 1/2 inch's...so,i was wondering what do think the tips,fade out,and handle  should be....and my other question is...i am going to southern oregon this week end and was thinking of getting a stick or 2 of vm...the problem is that it is 100 degrees down there...so,i was going to cut,strip bark off and it would be in the back of my truck(100 degrees)for one day...and when i got home i was going to put it under the house which is at 60 degrees...would there be any checking you think  ???...thanks for the info..john

radius

Re: VM QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:01:46 pm »
get 10 sticks!

and take some yellow glue, when you saw the pieces down, just seal the ends and you should be fine

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:20:23 pm »
would he be better off to seal the ends of the logs and then save the splitting and debarking for once he got home? Wouldn't  that slow the drying process during the day at 100 degrees and save some checking? I pose this as a question because I don't want him to think I know this for sure it just seems right.
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:38 am »
I would not split it myself...until I was Home....cut it to length...seal the ends with either Glue or Urethane....and transport them Home....and then split them and store them where it's cooler and more controlled
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:18:51 am »
John, make a bend through the handle D-bow with your 58" stave. Make the handle is 1 1/4" wide and the limbs 1 3/8" wide. Taper the last 12-14" to 1/2" if you're going with self-nocks or 3/8" with overlays.

Regarding the staves, leave them whole until you get home and them split and debark them and store them in a cool place.
Gordon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:30 pm »
thanks guys for the info....Gordon,i knew you cant resist when it comes to vm..thanks for the help..john

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:07 am »
Thank you John. While I have much yet to learn about the art of bowyering, I have learned a thing or two about vine maple.  ;D
Gordon