Author Topic: Tru Oil  (Read 6416 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Tru Oil
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:14 pm »
Does anyone know where can you get Tru Oil in large containers? All I can find around where I live is small containers. They are less than a pint. I would like to have a pint or a 1\2 gallon.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Tru Oil
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:50:37 pm »
I don't think I've ever seen it in anything larger than a 4 oz. bottle. But even just that mush is enough to do two or three bows if you want a glossy finish, more if you want a duller finish. If you do happen to find it in a larger quantity let us all know. I'm sure I'm not the only other one interested!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »
Ok . Was not sure if it came in bigger containers. Wally world usually has it in the small bottles and that is all I have ever seen.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline boo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:41:09 pm »
Tj ive bought it at lowes in a metal can that i think was a quart.
Boo

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:48:14 am »
If your going to apply paint to a bow, do you paint first, then apply oil?  Would it mess with paint?
1’—>1’

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:29:08 am »
Nugget, I've never seen any big containers, but one of those little bottles goes a long way.  Also just a tip that most probably know.  When I store the bottle I leave it upside down so it doesn't Chrystal over.

Parnell, I would use a water based paint first, then do the oil over that after it has dried for a day or two.
Traverse City, MI

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
Nope, I was thinking of something different. Wall-Mart, little blue bottle is the only way ive ever bought it.

Didnt i do this to you once before ???  ;D
Boo

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:28:52 am »
Yes I think you did

Offline boo

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:48:17 am »
Kligspor has it in 8 o/z  bottles.
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 11:33:02 am »
I have bought Tru-Oil in pint bottles but find it goes bad before I get half finished with the bottle. I prefer the 4oz bottles. Like Rick said, store it up side down(on it's cap) and it will last longer without getting clumpy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 11:42:28 am »
I've always bought the little bitty bottles, and one of those will do several bows and a bunch of arrows. Like Pat said, I'd rather keep it fresh.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »
If your going to apply paint to a bow, do you paint first, then apply oil?  Would it mess with paint?

I've painted water based exterior enamel over spar varnish without a problem.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:02:59 pm by Grunt »

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 05:02:02 pm »
To make tru oil last longer I leave the foil seal on and put a small cut in it, then drip the oil out when I need it. The hole scabs over pretty quickly and seals the bottle. Keeping iit in the fridge could help too. I have never seen it in large bottles, but there used to be some recipes for making it on paleoplanet.

Regards

James

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 06:55:41 pm »
I too keep it in the fridge, had lots of problem before, I think the small bottles are the way to go
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 07:42:18 am »
thinking  about it some more.... Covering the top of the bottle with plastic wrap underneath the cap could work too.