Author Topic: Chrysals  (Read 6136 times)

AKAPK

Chrysals
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:18:12 am »
Just want to show that Chrysals are really bigger beneath the surface than they appear.
Also I can"t stress enough that if you are making a bow gift for someone, make sure that it does not have chrysals and make sure the bow is not drawn further than the intended draw length. someone could get hurt.
this bow was tillered for 26" draw and was pulled to 29" soon as I saw the Chrysals I knew the bow s life was over so, I opened it up and this is what it looks like.
the Chrysals are over 1/8" deep, thats scary. Could have been Worse.Phillip

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Chrysals
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:26:06 am »
I agree. When a bow chrysalls on me it's suspect. But there are fixes that could make it last longer but it's not a definite. In my early days I had one literally fold up on my brother. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27:44 am »
I use to try and fix them all different kind of ways,now if the Chrystal on me  I saw them up,
cook brats with them and start another. :) Not worth the chance.Haven't had many do it lately. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

AKAPK

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »
Both my holmgaards have chrysaled and they were the most work for me I really think holmgaards were not meant to be drawn more than 26" they seem to always chrysal at the end of the handle fades, checking for thickness there and towards mid limb is crucial.
never had a bow i made bust my face but did i got from another person but silly me back then did not know about max draw length.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:14:52 am by AKAPK »

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:03:24 pm »
Was it black locust?

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:20:00 pm »
Man that makes you think. I guess I won't shoot my little ash 42"  indian bow much anymore. I had chrysals, then did some scraping before and after the chrysals thinking it would help. The bow is sinew backed but after seeing the pics above it makes me a little nervous.
VB

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:13 pm »
This is a pretty cool post.  I have some black locust I want to try to make chysal.  Just for the hey of it really.  I got several pieces that are not worth anything.  I figured I could take down to floor tiller, and just way over floor tiller it.  I hear how bad BL chysals and want to see how easy it is.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:38:47 pm »
Pretty easy for me to chrysal BL. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aries

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 12:29:22 am »
I've never experienced any chrysaling but ive heard alot about it on here. I suppose osage isnt very prone to doing it?
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

AKAPK

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 12:43:55 am »
Some of ya Know that you can fix a Chrysal if your in the tillering stage but after your all done and been shootin and let somebody else use the Bow and they pull it to far and they ruin your Hickory Bow. By the Way where did black locust come up? that stuff ya gotta tiller just right or it will chrysal.
Anyone got facts on the Bow Arc and bending beyond it(Snap)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:16:36 am by AKAPK »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:33:30 am »
Phil, I've yet to build a Hickory bow that didnt eventualy chrystal. It's not you its the wood. I hate hickory for anything other than backings or center lams. There are lots of other better white woods out there....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:56:25 am »
Unlike Ryan I like Hickory and have only had one do that,I will say I do overbuild mine and always tiller
to just over the draw length of who is going to shoot it.As for my own bows I don't let anyone shoot them if there draw is much longer, and they aren't aware of how to use a selfbow.That
goes for any wood as far as I am concerned. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »
I've never experienced any chrysaling but ive heard alot about it on here. I suppose osage isnt very prone to doing it?

Osage is exceptionally good compression wood and is therefore very forgiving. But if you spend much time working with whitewoods, you will eventually experience them.
Gordon

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 06:01:32 pm »
My experience with chrysals have been on hickory and a osage limb bow. The osage was poorly tillered by myself, but a patch and I was out to shoot it again. Took a young doe that fall with it. Still shoots 15 years later.Black locust bow I have, wide limbs, 68" long has several frets or chrysal on lower, working part of limb. Still shooting. took a big doe with it last year and some squirrels. It might fold up the next time I string it, but I'm not cutting it up! My oppinion, tillering and where the wood grew or how. I love black locust, hickory, was it pignut, butternut, shagbark, might make a differnce! Good shootin steve.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 09:04:36 pm »
 My worst experiance was with a very expensive piece of Yew. I had the snake skins on and was shooting it in when the tell,tell cracks started to appear in the upper limb. I had taken a tad too much wood off in the recurve. I still have it and I'm going to fix it or make a kids bow out of it one day.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?