Author Topic: has any one done this  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Blacktail

has any one done this
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:42:30 am »
o.k. i finalley got the overstreet book and it is a monster..and i love it...i was looking through it and oregon has a butt load of points...but i was thinking..could i make one of every point in oregon...and try to get the same stone to replicate that point...tools wouldn't matter to me...just try to get the stone and the point the same...for me and that would be one heck of a journey..so,have you guys done this or thought about it...john

Offline billy

Re: has any one done this
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 05:47:12 pm »
hey john,

Yeah, I do that quite a bit.  when I grab a stone, I think of where it came from and then try to make a point type that came from that same area.  I've made Scallorn points from TX flint, Eastgate and desert side notched arrow points from Oregon Obsidian, and Cahokia points from Burlington chert.  It's pretty cool!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:01:14 pm »
I've thought about it John. But wind up skipping around and making whatever I like out of whatever I have handy. That would be one heck of an undertaking though - and a great collection once you were finished.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:13:40 pm »
If I can get enough material to do it, I want to try to make replicas of the points that I have on a chart. It titled "Projectile Point Chronology of North Carolina" It shows 24 different points from Paleo-Indian to Woodland-Indian. I am trying to find the proper material to use that is native to NC. I have made several already, but it is mostly from obsidian, costal plains, and flint. I am in the market now for some ryolite, good quartzite, and other indigenous rocks from my state suitable for knapping.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:23:21 pm »
Nugget I have quartzite, how good it is I'm not sure, but ya have to be a glutten for punishment
to play with quartzite ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
John, I'm interested in the same thing. I've started trying to make a good collection of local types from the typical material they were made from. Around here, that's mostly quartzite, with a little rhyolite mixed in. There are some common local Early Archaic types that were usually made from Knox chert carried in from Tennessee or jasper from Virginia-I think the people here then were highly nomadic, they probably summered in the mountains and followed the rivers down into what is now TN, SC, GA, and VA in the wintertime.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:32:26 pm »
its good to hear that you guys have had the same thought about your state.like paul said it would be one heck of a collection when done...it might take me until my last breath...but if i can get that last swing in before i die..i would be happy.LOL..

Offline redwasp

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:15 pm »
really cool idea,, I thought about it but I can barely make a point, so I just wait on that adventure and keep collecting the rocks til I am good enough.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.