Author Topic: trade points  (Read 3417 times)

Offline sailordad

trade points
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:21:24 pm »
here are few points that i have made in the last couple of weeks
they are going in a trade with another member on the forum here.
it takes me about 1.5 hours to make each one,not counting the 3 or 4 that i brake in between each succesfull point.
it seems that i always break them when they are nearly finished.
but the ones that come out finished,i think,are pretty nice.especially considering the limitied amount of time i have been this and am self taught.
any how hers a pic or two,enjoy and thanks for looking ;D

peace,
                                                                                                   tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: trade points
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:26:54 pm »
Them look great Tim! He aughta love em - keep on knappin  ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:02:44 pm »
nice work , too bad you cant trade a box of points for a bow.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 05:55:56 pm »
I always end up breaking mine when I try to notch them. It sucks but I keep trying. NIce points.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »
Real sharp Tim, :) I found a new super glue Called Quik Bond 4 gel, they sell it at Hobby shops for building Airplanes and Boats, stuff works really good and ya get more for the money. I glued my Clovis with it. Great Progress with your Knapping.Phillip
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:25:40 pm by AKAPK »

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 07:33:27 pm »
 ;D ;D 8) 8)
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
heres a couple more from today,made between rain storms

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »
Your on a roll Tim! Ain't it nice when you can just make points and not worry about the dreaded "snap" :-X ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:54:55 pm »
cowboy,
that sure is a nice feeling.
its 10p.m. here now and i think i am going to go sit in the garage and knapp for awhile yet.
its been my best day of knapping yet,and man oh man it feels good to not be breaking everything i touch

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 06:31:27 am »
Nice work Tim your getting the hang of this pretty fast eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:01:54 am »
Tim you are coming along rather well. No worries on breaking points,the only way to learn it is to break rocks.It's gonna happen. You will find over time that you will break less and less, and soon will be able to make an arrow point in 30 mins.

What is ahd black point in the first pic? Remind me of the clear winter night sky.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:06 am »
thanks everyone ;D

Timo: in that first pic,the darker point is acutally a dark blue.its made from some stuff the guy at the rock shop called
         "GOLD STONE".  he has it in blue and orange.it has flecks of gold in it.it looked like glass so i figured i would give it a try.
           its harder than obsidion,but also fragile.i really like working it though and the point look cool as all get when finished.
           i just wish he had more and larger pieces of it.
Dana: i wouldnt say that i am getting the hang of it fast,i have been spending atleast two hours every night(sometimes more) since about mid january
         and all i have too show for it is 4 knife blades, and about 25 points.but i do have about 50lbs of flakes laying in the sand box ;D ;)

i was back at the rock shop yesterday and picked up some more picutre jasper,one is african queen pic jasper and i forget what the other was called.
i also got a piece of petrified wood.its a dark pinkish color.i figure i will give at whack and see if i can knapp it.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 02:25:45 pm »
alright,well hers the first one of the day.
this is rom the picture jasper that i picked up yesterday.i dont remember what kind of pic jasper it was.
it seems to wok pretty decent,a little grainy in the blueish areas,has some small pockets of some kind of mineral i would guess.
its a yellowish pwder type sunstance and the rock right around it is kinda chalky.
but it makes for decent looking wall hanger point

enjoy and thanks for looking
oh yeah,please i hope the reciver doenst think thee are perfect as they do have some hinges etc.,but i did say i was a newbie ;D

peace,
                                                                          tim

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 07:32:30 pm »
Man thats some pretty rock Tim, well done :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »
That is some pretty rock Tim - kinda swirls around like that horsecreek that Leapingbare works with. I worked a piece of that goldstone years ago and still have a slab somewhere. I read up on it, can't remember the details but somebody was trying to make gold seems like over in China or somethin. They failed at the gold but make all different colors of goldstone, purty stuff.