Author Topic: Some chippin  (Read 4403 times)

Offline DanaM

Some chippin
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:27:44 am »
Did these inbetween remodeling my kitchen. Keokuk, alibates, obsidian, and unknown rock.
That about it for my rock supply I have a few chunks of obsidian left, a few slabs and some glass.
Taking off today on a rock run, don't have high hopes of finding anything but I'm hoping that I can
at least find some good quartzite :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
Re: Some chippin
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:36:55 am »
Nice job!  :) Looks like you've been busy! I love Obsidian, except getting cut by it when ever I touch it.  >:(
Good luck on the rock run. Joe
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:42:32 am »
I see you have/had some of the strawberry seed keokuk? That stuff is good rock. Nice group of points Dana.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:12:49 am »
Wow Dana, you've really made great strides in your knapping since you first started! Those look really good! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:18:28 am »
Dana
Nice job,they look good,seems like the quest for rock is the limitation in this adventure.keep it up love to look at points
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:54:46 am »
You have been busy Dana! those look great! You'll have some gray rocks in there soon ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:16 am »
Thanks guys, I still break or mess up more than I make >:(

Ya Roger not having access to rock sucks and I can't afford to buy it, at least at my skill level

Paul free rock ranks right up there with free beer ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:55:21 pm »
That's good looking work, Looks like we have something in common there,I don't like sitting and making five of the same kind one after another,course,the rock has a say in what you end up with sometimes,I have started out with a large point almost done and end up with two smaller ones.Funny how often that happens to me.  ;D  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
Your points are looking great Dana, I've been doing alot of slab knapping which some don't consider real knapping, but who cares.
Keep up the nice work, you're gettin good.
VB

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 04:52:06 pm »
nice work ,I love that rock on the bottom third from the right, it looks like wood grain in white and blue.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »
nice work Dana :o

i havent made a point in nearly a week,i have wrecked an awful lot as of late though ;D

Your points are looking great Dana, I've been doing alot of slab knapping which some don't consider real knapping, but who cares.
Keep up the nice work, you're gettin good.
VB

who says it aint real knapping,i bleed real blood all the time and thats all i use is are slabs of obsidion.its what i have access to purchase relaitvely cheap.
like Dana and the rest in our area of the country,not any real good knappible material to be had.
so i go to rock shops and buy slabs,mostly obsidion
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline John K

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 06:55:49 pm »
Looking good Dana ! I often wonder what the NA''s used for knapping around these parts  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 07:24:13 pm »
Dana:  You really have come a long way in your knapping skills. 

Dana:  You sure have come a long way with your knapping skills.  I am impressed!!  Joe

Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 05:06:10 pm »
Thanks guys :) Went on a rock expedition yesterday found some nice quartzite, will post pictures tommow.

John and Tim Hixton, Wisconson was a site that the NA's quarried silified sandstone, not sure if you could get any there or not but sure would be fun to try.

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 05:31:00 pm »
Dana, you've really progressed as a knapper! Looks like you need to haft a few and utilize them.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956