Author Topic: look what my neighbor found  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

look what my neighbor found
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:20:20 pm »
my neighbor found this at a job site he was working on. which is funny b\c he is a supervisor and doesnt even dig or anything. He doesnt look for arrowheads and has absolutely no interest in them either. I let him borrow my jig saw one day, and remembered it, and new i knapped so when it found this he brought it and gave it to me.  i am very luck he gave it to me, but i wish i could have found it. its pretty darn sweet for what it is. looks like that same Tampa ledge rock that bone pile just showed us a nice point out of.  not sure if it is or not, but thats what it remind me of.  he probably could have got a good chunk of money for it if he knew what he had.  ofcourse me, i would never sell an original point!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Timo

Re: look what my neighbor found
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:38:29 pm »
Man that is a sweet find right there!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:52:44 pm »
 That's a nice looking Kirk, Ryan. If you want to see what the material looks like with out removing the natural Patina, soak it in mineral oil for about a week. the Patina will disappear and the stone will revert back to what it looked like when it was knapped. Then if you leave it out for awhile the Patina will come back. It's easier to identify the stone that way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:46:53 pm »
went out after a good rain today for about 2 hours with my wife, to look for some arrowheads...found nothing..not even a flake, what a hot miserable day and couldnt even muster a flake.  i suppose i dont have very much luck looking for points around here.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:17:22 pm »
That is a nice find Ryan - even if you didn't find it yourself. Never heard of that mineral oil trick Eddie, gonna try it on some broken one's to see how it cleans em up.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:38 pm »
  Paul, it won't clean them up but rejuvenates the rock somehow. It works really well on translucent rock. And it will not hurt the point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:26:00 pm »
nice find ,what is a rock like that worth in money?