Author Topic: Addicted. Can you stop making bows?  (Read 10144 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Addicted. Can you stop making bows?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 03:48:16 am »
When I got divorced 20 years ago I was pondering a new career and at the same time relishing my new freedom to do with my time as I pleased. ( little sad about the divorce also) . I read a book titled " do what you love and the money will follow" I decided i would just do what I loved doing and forget about the money, if it happened it happened. For about 10 years I did nothing but make bows, I rarely ever sell one as I don't like doing finish work and consider bows strictly a hobby and want to keep it that way. A while back I got to do a chapter for the bowyers bible for a few bucks, on several occassions I have been invited to do small group seminar/workshps for a little money. For the past few months I have been busy on bow related jobs for the discovery channel whic I find challenging and really enjoy. My long term goal is to open up a coffee shop for bowmakers with a historical/ sportsman theme to it. Inside the coffee shop for socializing and flirting and out in the yard for bow and arrow making. Have been getting all sorts of propositions lately and I didn't seek any of them out for financial gain. I say if you love it just keep doing it for the love of it! Steve

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 08:00:15 am »
I've been addicted to being a maker all my life. In the past I've been addicted to making brain tan deerskin, flintlocks, pre 1820 mocs gear and hunting bags, quivers, wood bowls and turned/carved wood sculpture, small lathe centerwork, teaching what I know, flys for fishing, helping current veterans, bows, arrows, stone points, working in the garden, hunting, paddling my kayak, working out, creative writing, firekeeping at a NA sweatlodge, and generally having fun!!!  Helping current vets and bows and all that goes with them are my current passions.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:33:40 am by Grunt »

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 08:43:52 am »
Yep,most of my spare time is devoted to something to do with Bows,arrows,shooting or hunting.
Don't think of much else. Yes I am an addict. Can't seem to help myself. ;) ;D ;D I have a very
understandind wife,she always tell her friends ,well he could be up to worse. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 11:24:04 am »
Well said Badger !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline greenstick

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 12:08:18 pm »
I'm only in the second year of making bows, but find myself looking for downed trees after a storm to ask for a limb or two. It really T's me off when I see guys cutting a good hickory or Black locust up for fire wood. Can you imagine cutting up perfectly good bows with a chain saw, makes me sick to my stomach.  :P
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 12:39:34 pm »
I'm not addicted to making bows....and I'm not obsessed with archery....I just do it to relieve the boredom and stress in my life.  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it....and Ron, don't try to get me to attend one of those meetings....I don't need help.)  >:(

*Burp*   :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:09:44 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 03:26:40 pm »
The only thing that slows the urge is if you get into flintknapping, then you'll be hooked on that. LOL
VB

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »
When I got divorced 20 years ago I was pondering a new career and at the same time relishing my new freedom to do with my time as I pleased. ( little sad about the divorce also) . I read a book titled " do what you love and the money will follow" I decided i would just do what I loved doing and forget about the money, if it happened it happened. For about 10 years I did nothing but make bows, I rarely ever sell one as I don't like doing finish work and consider bows strictly a hobby and want to keep it that way. A while back I got to do a chapter for the bowyers bible for a few bucks, on several occassions I have been invited to do small group seminar/workshps for a little money. For the past few months I have been busy on bow related jobs for the discovery channel whic I find challenging and really enjoy. My long term goal is to open up a coffee shop for bowmakers with a historical/ sportsman theme to it. Inside the coffee shop for socializing and flirting and out in the yard for bow and arrow making. Have been getting all sorts of propositions lately and I didn't seek any of them out for financial gain. I say if you love it just keep doing it for the love of it! Steve

If you build it they will come!!!  ;D

Well, if you get that coffee shop going I may end up having to pitch my tent in your shops backyard! Coffee and bows!!!! My kinda place.  Pappy, you might have a bit of competition here on the west coast for bow building and fun.  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 04:59:39 pm »
I figure i am pretty much addicted,  and i'm ok with that,  and my girlfriend is  becoming let's say more ok with that.

it's all a journey,  learn what you can when you can and apply it to the next,  which opens up more and more doors and possibilities.

I am running my first bow making workshop next week at a primitive skills gathering which i am super excited about.  the trailer is packed with yew staves. and I am setting up at a music festival in august to demonstrate bowyery and raffle off a bow.

speaking of which,   just finished sanded down the horn tips and the sizing should almost be dry for the snake skins. 

as long as i'm learning i'll keep coming back.

Jamie

i've often thought of this forum as a support network for addicted bowyers,  and here it is

like pat said,  i could be up to much worse...
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 02:17:40 am »
I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't work, I can't even blink without seeing visions bows! :o
SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 03:27:31 am »
I hope some of you guys do show up at the coffee shop, free coffee and refills durring your visit. Steve

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 06:49:06 am »
I would love to do that some day Badger,that is a great idea,hope it works out.  :) No
competition Tiller there's  room for all of us.We need more stuff like that around the country where we can gather. I don't think a coffee shop would go over to well in TN. maybe a bar with a shop in the back.  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 09:23:56 am »
Winter is bow building time for me. I don't want to stop. Lord willing I'll continue as long as I can. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 10:06:05 am »
Pappy, If I had access to a barn out here I would be doing exactly what you are doing. When I get home from work I will try to post the littel piece that Tim Baker wrote about the mythical " Bowyers Bar"

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 03:58:00 pm »
quoted from TBB4

"sign over the entrance to the bowmakers bar"

"When two or more wood bowmen find themselves together, whatever convesation ensues is largely veneer.  Their most important communication is subterranean and wordless.  It's a shared sense of the bow's mystery,  of ties to ancient,  authentic world, of quiet kinship.  Become a woodbow man and you join a band of brothers stretching back in an unbroken line to your 500th grandfather.  A time when,  unlike our present competitive world, your life and the life of those close to you depended on the sharing of knowledge,  goods, and danger.  Become a woodbow man and you see that ancient spirit resurrected, other bowmen offering you their secrets, their help, even wood and tools.  And maybe more suprising, you note that without calculation or conscious will you yourself becoming such a person too.  If this evolves even a whifff of primal familiarity then it's entirely proper that you step at least tentatively onto that ancient path:  make your first bow and see what happens"
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com