Author Topic: Addicted. Can you stop making bows?  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Colt45

• =]
Addicted. Can you stop making bows?
« on: June 24, 2009, 05:37:39 pm »
So I started making bows like sixth months ago and I think it's really fun! But now every time I see a piece of trim I start thinking about making it into a bow. I look at a tree and I see staves! And I just keep making them! It's like this for all you too?  :D
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline John K

Re: Addicted. Can you stop making bows?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:38:49 pm »
Yep ! It doesn;t get any better either  ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:13:57 pm »
yup  ery addicting,isnt it >:D ;D

i too had that problem,every tree i sen i thought about how many bows are in the sucker
however i have found a cure for the addiction of bowmaking

START ROCK KNAPPING,you'll forget about bows.well atleast i did for awhile,stillm ake some bows but not near as many ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

nickf

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:33:28 pm »
If I haven't done alot of bowmaking in the past weeks, designs start to dance in my eyes whenever I try to fall asleep. frigtening! :p

Nick

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »
Bow making, reading about it, or thinking about it... pretty much occupies the majority of my free time. Just ask my family!!

Offline acker

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »
If I haven't done alot of bowmaking in the past weeks, designs start to dance in my eyes whenever I try to fall asleep. frigtening! :p

Nick
;D I understand you very well ;D
There are so many designs ..... :o :D

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:46:00 pm »
I run off the road several times while driving trying to pick out trees on the sides of the roads.  Sometimes I look down at my spedometer and realize I am only going like 15 mph with a line of cars behind me!   :)  This happens alot but I am always on the lookout for more bow wood.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »
I go walking in the woods every day.  I love being in the woods, but I'm primarily looking for bow wood.

It is the most addictive hobby I've ever had. 
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

radius

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »
i go through phases with it...these days i'm ON...every tree is a nest of bows...every day is a chance to find more wood...every stray cat is a target...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
I've been building wood bows for over 20 years and it gets better each day! ;D I still look at trees, piles of locust fence posts and anything that could be used somehow in archery. I still spend most of my time thinking about bows, arrows or other archery stuff.  So you guys get used to it! It's a hell of a journey!!! 8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:35:34 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »
Hello my name is Ron and I'm an addict about 10 years ago someone shoved a piece of fiberglass in " OOPS sorry for the curse word" my hand and then a tri lam and sob then  it was on to the hard stuff the pushers in Tennessee got hold of me they said this stuff is alright it won't hurt nuthin. Well from then I been in and out of trouble petty crime stealin wood from the neighbors yard then the county park and and and I have nowhere to turn. Someone please help.Ron :o
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:47:47 am »
My wife is jealous, but I just remind her that she is the one that gave me the idea to get started in the first place! ;D 
Sooner or later she is going to find me laying in a pile of chips and shavings at dawn, scraper in hand in the fetal position softly muttering, so softly. ;)
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 01:09:27 am »
I can quit building Bows any time I want.....and then I build Flint Knives....or Steel Knives....or Arrows....or Hawks....Slingshots....but it always something.....they are all Addictive
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTProf

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:49:20 am »
I have no problem quitting, and not even thinking about building bows....and then I wake up in the morning!!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 02:19:55 am »
Yeah Mike! I'm just like you. Went from flintknapping to bow building to gun collecting and shootin, to building my own kayak and equipment in the garage. Purchased the only thing I could not make myself today. A drysuit! Man, that was expensive!!!! It's beans and rice for the next few months.  Now to make the aquilisaq (spray skirt) and another Greenland paddle for a back up. Ok! Can someone build a car from scratch? How do I smelt mettle?  ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill