Author Topic: UV on Osage  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Michael C.

UV on Osage
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:59:47 am »
I read that sunlight(UV) is what causes Osage to turn the golden brown to darker brown that it does over time. I am not even sure what wavelength colors the Osage but I would guess UV. Has anyone tried using a black light and different camo like leaves and branches to cause shadow and see if it would color the bow with a pattern? I was just curious if anyone has tried this, if I find a black light I think I might give it a go.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: UV on Osage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:09:24 pm »
Sounds cool,give it a try and show us how it works,sounds like it might. ???
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »
Interesting idea....I know that the wood under my handle wraps is a lot lighter.

I wonder if the contrast would remain visible over time (when all areas are exposed to sunlight).  Let us know.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:23:01 pm »
Interesting idea.  I noticed that some of the osage scraps, that I had setting in the back yard darkened in less than a week.    I wonder if you can get enough light from a standard black light to darken it.  You might even try a plant grow light.  Just a thought.

Please keep us updated on how it works.  Id love to see how it all works out and probably try it myself. ;)

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:17:30 pm »
I know that floresent lights will darken it.Not sure about a black light.I suppose since it is photosensitive any light will cause it to darken?

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:47:25 pm »
Cool idea. But wouldn't it all just eventually fade to the same color after a fairly short time?

Offline acker

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:48:17 pm »
It works good!
Only a couple of hours in the sun studio and your bow will be lovely colored.
A member of a german bow- forum tried it allreadyhttp://www.fletchers-corner.de/index.php?topic=10757.15

acker

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »
cool....I still have my Black Lights and Glow in the Dark Posters and Fish Nets for the Ceiling ....and yards of Beer Can Pop Top Chains too.......have I given away My Age yet...... :o    :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:47:40 pm »
Reckon a tanning bed would work? That's some pretty intense light. ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »
I guess I meant for it more to be multi colored and layered instead of just the straight dark golden rotisserie chicken brown.

ADB I think once the pattern was set it would still color over time, but hold the pattern since the exposure would be different on the pattern. I'm sure after about 20-30 years it would eventually hit a peak though.

It works good!
Only a couple of hours in the sun studio and your bow will be lovely colored.
A member of a german bow- forum tried it allreadyhttp://www.fletchers-corner.de/index.php?topic=10757.15

acker
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Aries

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:33:27 pm »
Ya Ive done this with the tips of some of my bows, I'd cover all but the tips of my bows for about a week and leave it out in the sun and repeated with the otherside. It gave the wood the naturally darker tips. It turned out pretty cool. I have also noticed that a piece of osage such as the inside portion of a stave split will show the effects of the sun much faster than a finished bow will. So possibly the finishing process and clear coat helps to prevent some of the UV's effects.  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 11:28:03 pm »
cool....I still have my Black Lights and Glow in the Dark Posters and Fish Nets for the Ceiling ....and yards of Beer Can Pop Top Chains too.......have I given away My Age yet...... :o    :P

have you been rumaging thru my attic?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 12:05:15 am »
                                    Tim...did you inherit this stuff?? You aint a Child of the 60's!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:21 am »
If memory serves blacklights are UVa and the UV that causes fade and weathering is UVb, the same UV found in tanning booths in a higher concentration than the sun without the melanoma effects. ha, you could rent a tanning booth for a few hours and that should do it. there are a few clear coats that have major UV blocking properties, that should keep what you want faded faded and the rest like new for a few years. its a really cool idea i must say. best of luck.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 06:57:25 am »
A botanist friend of mine once told me that osage and black locust glow brightly under a black light. Tell me if they do.

Cheers
james