Author Topic: Arrow Material?  (Read 2474 times)

Aosda

Arrow Material?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:20:15 am »
I found this stand of cane/grass today.  Was wondering if this would work for arrows.  Also, what is the method for drying green shoots, or do you cut the shoots that are already dry?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow Material?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:37:06 pm »
It looks like it should work. Do you have ant pics of the whole plant or the shoot with the leaves on it?
  To dry cane, I bundle it and place it in my utility room. After a month or 2 it is ready to go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:36:24 pm »
The first pic is the leaves, kinda like a tall grass.  I'll try to get full pics tomorrow.  I also pick some of the dry shoots, and made two arrows out it.  they don't shoot too bad out of my 34# recurve.  I'll get pics of those together.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:42:33 pm »
Be careful with the already dry canes. They could be infected with fungi that will weaken the cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:14:29 am »
Pat, yeah I had to toss a few shoots because it was too damp at the base and the was mold or fungus.

Well here are the two from the dry cane, I know they are very crude.  On these two shoots carbon nocks and points fit inside so I used that.  I use the skinny cane in the first pic inside of the shoots behind the point and nock to reinforce it.  I don't have access to sinew, so I used standard thread.  Also used thread in between the nodes for decoration.  Feathers are goose wing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:11:58 am »
That looks like it ought to be good for arrows. You did a nice job on those two arrows. Looks don't matter, flight does! ;)

Aosda

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:01:29 am »
Thanks Pat, I've got quite a few (hundred) more to make before I turn out anything like the ones you guys do.  I really liked those tapered Ash ya did.