Author Topic: Red Elm Sapwood Question  (Read 2406 times)

Offline jhutch65

Red Elm Sapwood Question
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:55:31 pm »
Hi All!

I have been lurking and reading for a few months now and have picked up a wealth of knowledge here!  I thank all of you for being so free and open with sharing your individual expertise and knowledge. 

I now come to this forum with a question.  I have a piece of red elm, 72" long with about 1/2 - 3/8" of sapwood and 1"+ heartwood.  I am undecided as to making a flat-bow type configuration (fades about 1-1/2" or so) or possibly an ELB configuration.  I know it may be different depending on which configuration I decide upon, but what would be a good recommended thickness of the sapwood?  I can easily chase a ring down to 1/4" and maybe a little less, but not having worked this wood before, I want to make sure that I keep enough sapwood to be useful.

This is not my first bow, I have made 3 ELB's from Hickory, one flatbow from Ash with a Hickory back, an Osage/boo bow and a kids bow from of Walnut with a Hickory back.  All of these previous bows have been board bows and this red elm is my first attempt at one from a split stave.

Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated!

John

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red Elm Sapwood Question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:39:21 am »
With elm, like other white woods, the wood under the bark is your best bet for a back. Unless the back ring is damaged, go with it. I guess you could remove most of the sapwood so you have a ring or 2 and a heartwood belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:21:41 am »
Hi,  My only experience with red elm was a stave obtained in trade from Hammertime.  You might send him a PM and ask him for more info.  Elm in general has a reputation for being hard to very hard to split.  ( A well deserved reputation based on my one experience collecting an american elm.)  Chasing a ring is likely to be very frustrating!  I would just use the sapwood 'as is'.   That worked for me.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 11:48:18 am »
What Pat said. I like Red Elm for a bow !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline jhutch65

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:42:38 am »
Thanks for the input all.  Will chase a ring down a bit and go from there.  WIll post pics when I get it to a point where it looks more than a carved up stave!

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:34:40 am »
The first few rings just under the bark are usually pretty thin, at least on younger trees. You may be able to scrape a couple down without much trouble, which would allow you to have a little more heartwood on the belly.