Author Topic: Osage  (Read 5510 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Osage
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:21:00 am »
Today as I was shooting in an Osage bow I'm finishing something kept poppying in my mind,...often I read post such as this "I'm not quite ready to work osage, but.." or  "one day I'll be ready to work Osage...." 

Well I actually think Osage is the perfect beginner's wood, it's so forgiving, strong and easy to read, can take lots of punishment and a non perfect job.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Osage
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:14:47 am »
I agree,once you get passed getting the bark/sap wood off and chasing a ring,then the lay out is a little different because of the longitudinal grain isn't usually straight it is great wood,very forgiving while tillering and can recover a slight hinge much better than most white wood. :) It is also very good at not taking on moisture after it is once seasoned and dry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:27:47 am »
Any wood is good for a begineer in my book :) Only problem I see with osage as a first wood is availability,
if you have to shell out hard earned bucks to buy a stave you might as well start with something that can
be cut locally.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:10:10 am »
If someone can show a beginner how to chase a ring, then I agree.  As a beginner myself, time alone, whitewoods wins hands down.  You don't have to be so mindful about how the grain runs, usually find straight staves.

Also another step a beginner has to think about is layout.  Following that grain and then how to pyamid the limbs on a semi snakey bow. 
Westminster, MD

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:30:23 am »
Manny:  I agree completely.  Of course I have a barn full of Osage. ;D

I always found "Chasing a ring" to be the easy part.
Most ring chasing only takes 30 minutes to 1 hour.
The right tools and a bit of practice go a long ways.
However, it does intimadate many people.  Especially those that have spent good money on a stave.

Hay RyanO!  Have you seen this? ;)

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:10:36 pm »
Manny, you got it.! I have said this in many other posts. It's possible with white woods to chase a ring, but not always easy. Osage is very forgiving in tillering. It talks to you when chasing a ring, that gritty sound! Black locust and sassafrass are pretty close. Good shootin and don't be afraid of using osage for your first! Steve

Aosda

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:11:19 pm »
As a beginner, I'm gonna say that most of the "some day's" stem from the cost and availability of osage.  If I lived out by Osage Country, I would be out hunting for trees.  But having to spend $30-$60 if not more for a decent stave is a deterent ??? .  I'd rather spend time and patience on a few staves to learn.  JMO. 

So I'm one of the "some day" guys.  Some day when I have the extra cash to spend on a decent stave, I'll get one and discover the joys Osage.  Til then, there are plenty of Northeatern Whitewoods for me to harvest here.  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »
I agree with Manny and Pappy. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »
Aosada, where you getting those $30 staves?

Manny you have a hedgerow planted on the island yet?  I can only imagine the rings on Hawaiian hedge.  Personally I started on red oak, harvesting from the lumber store is somewhat simpler.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:02:40 pm »
hey aosda i live in oklahome where osage is thicker than dog ticks, aint no bs about it. if you want a piece of osage we can work something out my supply of 2 year old wood is a little knotty but there is a bow in all wood you just gotta find it. so if you gota hankering for yellow wood give me a pm.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Aosda

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »
Tom, I've seen bidding start really low on a stave and stay low(rare occasion).  Most of the time it costs more than $30, then you have shipping.  Maybe I had a brain fart and just typed the shipping price :o

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
LOL  :D  ...not advocating to try a first bow on Osage, I still think the first few should be made of whatever cheap and avaiable,...... gotta learn how to use tools and get an eye for tiller, but after those few baby steps Osage will help a lot with his toughness and forgiveness
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:36 pm »
I agree, It's also easier to hit your desired weight.

But I'm jealous of beginners who get to play with lots of Osage ;D

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:44 pm »
I have eay access to osage where I am at it grows everywhere. :)  One of the biggest osage trees I have seen.is 50 yards away from my house.  I got a big pile of it in my garage i just need to start working it
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

radius

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »
you guys with osage forests handy are very lucky people! 

I ordered a chunk of osage last year from Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow Longbows....it was 2.25 x 4.5 x 62....i cut it into various thicknesses of strips and made quite a few laminate bows from it...