Author Topic: New (lurking) Member and Idea  (Read 2884 times)

Offline RyanY

New (lurking) Member and Idea
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:39:53 pm »
So I've been lurking on this forum for a couple weeks and have finally come up with something I want to post. I have been reading the fourth volume of TBB and was thinking of this for a bow. A perry reflexed, heat treated holmegaard bow. After reading about all of these aspects of bow making I was thinking about trying this out and hopefully making a wicked fast and sweet bow. What are your thoughts?

Offline burn em up chuck

Re: New (lurking) Member and Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:03 pm »
well hello lurking new member, your idea sounds good, but have you ever built a bow before? maybe a little more get to know you skill level intro. i'm just trying figure out how to respond to your ?. or did i miss your intro. a while back. if so i apologize. welcome.

chuck

Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:58:40 pm »
Yeah sorry. Didn't really post an intro. I have built several bows before mostly from red oak and one of hickory. Currently I have two hickory recurve bows in the making, one for my dad for this sunday. The only time I've ever done a lamination was a while back when I tried to make a hickory backed cypress bow. I got the idea of using cypress from bowstick's legolas bow he used to sell. It didn't work out because I perry reflexed it and because cypress is extremely weak as a belly wood the hickory totally crushed the belly. So thats my intro plus a little story. As for the question I was just wondering if anyone had other thought to add to my idea. I was thinking about going to get some hickory to try this with but I don't want to get over my head with projects right now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:17:12 am »
For Perry reflex you need a wood or boo backing. All 3 of your ideas will add performance to a bow.  You will have to heat treat the belly first before glue up because the heat will weaken the glue.
   Give your idea a try and keep us posted. Sounds like an interesting project.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:45:57 am »
JMO. You could try maple backed ash.  Not sure if that combination is good for a Holmegaard, but it would look nice.  With a maple backing, I don't think you'd have to worry about it over powering other wood.  The guys with more experience would probably know if it would work.

Sounds like a fun project though.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 06:55:11 am »
Interesting idear, I'm with Pat on the heat treating. Belly lam would have to be heated first therefore the belly should also
pre tapered(tillered), I suppose tillering could be accomplished by a combination of scraping the back and sides. Sounds like fun go for it
and keep us posted eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49:05 am »
Actually not to contradict Pat or Dana but If you use urac glue or resorcinol you don't have to heat treat the belly first as the heat wont effect these two glues.... Give it a try and post some pictures when its done!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:47:59 am »
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to try and find those glues so I don't have to try and pre tiller the belly lam. Hopefully I'll finish my two bows I'm working on this week and get started on this project. I have so many other bows I want to make that I've been thinking about though. I cut some hickory staves a couple weeks ago and they have been waiting for me in my basement. I would also like to make just a plain holmegaard and a short bow around 52" just for fun.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 03:58:22 pm »
sounds like your heading in the right direction. great ideas,your just for fun ideas might be a means to an end in your lamination idea. knowing or expierencing each style will help you bring it all together, but if your anything like me you'll skip all, and jump to ahead. good luke and keep us posted.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

nickf

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
Heattreatment is a great cure for lighter woods, but heavier woods won't benefit much from it. And those are the one's you'll want to use below a hickory or boo back. In addition, I think selfbows with a similar reflex, wich is induced by heattreatment, will perform just the same as the perry reflexed one.

what might be an interesting idea;
heattreat the belly into, say 10" reflex, and glue it to 2" reflex.

Nick

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:02:23 pm »
Actually not to contradict Pat or Dana but If you use urac glue or resorcinol you don't have to heat treat the belly first as the heat wont effect these two glues.... Give it a try and post some pictures when its done!

Ryan I think you did contradict me and Pat ;) :D But I've never used dem glues and dats some good info to have eh :)
Thanks fer da info eh 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 08:49:38 pm »
heat doesnt affect urac? man i wished i knew that a couple weeks ago! my hickory backed osage ended up a bit out of allignment...
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.