Author Topic: Material Id, update  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Material Id, update
« on: June 18, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »
Got some material from florida in a excellent trade with Mullet, I need to Id the material of the broken point Thanks Later Bob.    Gotta get the right pic, here,s a few other I made this week Thanks for looking

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:06:13 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Material Id
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:31 pm »
 I don't see it, just a real nice knife.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Material Id
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »
Mullet can ya see it now. Had to do an update, dang computers are just to complex for this ole guy.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Material Id, update
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:14:31 pm »
  Yep!, Nice blades. The broken one is Coastal Plains Chert from Flint River, Ga.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:24:43 pm »
Thanks Ed, The coastal plains was working pretty good an then I had a high hit an snapped her, Oh well stuff happens :>}  Later Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
Nice work Bob.  Those are some pretty blades.  Sorry about the broken one, it looks like it was coming out really well.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:24 pm »
That's some excellant flaking there Bob! Too bad about the snapped one :-X.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:00:28 am »
     Man nice work Bob.  Yeah, unfortunately stuff happens.  Stuff happens to me all the time. ;D  I just now finally made a point bigger than an inch or so.  It is about three inches, by three inches.  It is an atlatl point.  Kinda pyramid with barbs, and a straight tang.  I can't take full credit, because it is a piece of glass plate, that Eddie had preformed, and partially flaked.  I just worked it down to it's present size.  Every other time I tried to make a nice point like yours, Stuff, would happen, and I would take the remainder, and make an arrow head out of it.  This is the first time I have been able to make anything larger than a medium arrow head.  I'm  really good at bird points though! ;D  I would love to be able to make a knife blade, or long atlatl point like yours,  But I need to get back over to Claude's with Eddie, and try to figure out how to percussion flake, and punch flake.  I have a nice piece of Fla. Coral, but I need to get Eddie to cut it into preforms.  It is slabbed already.  I had some that I uh.....had stuff happen to them.   :(  I like the obsidian in your palm.  Nice points.

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:18:42 am »
Nice work bob, and I know "the stuff happens" feeling quite well ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 12:06:07 pm »
Bob your just a knapping machine! Good looking points and really nice knife.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:01:18 pm »
Good job, too bad about the broken one.
VB

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »
Nice chippin'! I've made a pile of those take-down points, too. That Flint River is great rock, but those chalk pockets'll get you sometimes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:39 pm »
Thanks guys, Ya Steve I got a lot of those take down points too. I had a little trouble with the chaulk but the cement spots were kinda new to me and oh so troublesome. Wayne, my daughter used to live in west palm an she has taken me to Trapper Nelson In Port St. Lucie a few times, nice little canoe ride an lots of history. Thanks Bob

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 01:35:04 am »

Yeah, Bob Trapper Nelson's place does have a lot of history.  There are a lot of wild orchids, along the river if you know where to look, and can keep em covered on your way out..... ;)  Actually it is in Hobe Sound, just on the outskirts of Jupiter, on the west side of the intracoastal.  Yeah, Lake Worth used to be a nice sleepy little town, where you didn't have to lock your doors.  Not so now.  Not a good place to be now.  Lot of immigrants, legal, and illegal, and lots of crime there now. :(  When I was a kid, my buddy and I both lived just west of Military trail, just north of Lantana Rd. and we would hitch hike to West palm on a Sat. morning, and just walk around town, and go in the airconditioned stores, and look at all the stuff, we didn't have money to buy.  We would go to one store that I can't remember at this moment, and they had a little snack bar there, we would get a cherry coke, the kind with the syrup, and then the coke poured in over the ice, and syrup, and a hot dog. Then we would hitch hike back home.  Nope can't even think of doing that now.  I am so thankful I grew up in that era. :) 8)
Again, nice chipping there. ;)
                                                                                       Wayne