Author Topic: ERC  (Read 7071 times)

Offline John K

ERC
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:18:20 am »
Hi All, I'm wondering what a good design for ERC would be  ???

The stave is just under 61" 2" wide and knot free. I would like to build a bow that bends through the handle and is unbacked. around 40#'s would be great.

Here are a few pics. Thanks John !
the back.

the belly

and a couple of the sides.

The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: ERC
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »
Envy! :P :P :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:31:37 pm »
I tell ya, if this stuff works out, i'm going to get more of it....it sure is fun and EASY to work !

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:46:16 pm »
ERC makes an excellent ELB, but that piece is a bit short. I'm sure it'll make a good flatbow. That being said, I did just finish a 58" yew ELB bendy handle. I think whatever strikes your fancy!

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:31 pm »
Thanks Adam, Will see what see happens, it still needs some time to dry. It was cut only 3 weeks ago !

Offline snedeker

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:04:52 pm »
From what I've seen here over the years the shorter pieces make a nice sinewed wide flatbow

Dave

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:50:12 pm »
John
I'm in the process of making a sinew backed ERC.  It is in a holding pattern. ;)  I made it 58" long bend through the handle,  1 7/8"  for 2/3 the lenght of the limb, to about 5/8 at the tip.  The stave I had was clear but I backed it to be safe.  I think you could make it about the same dimensions with no problem  since it is such a clean stave. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 11:31:24 pm »
John ....I have made everything from ELB's and Paddle bows to this little Bow for a 4 year old in Australia....I love the Stuff...it is great to work....and Zippy as all get out!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:35:39 pm »
John, I think I would rawhide back even though the back looks very clean. Keep it pretty wide for most of the limb and let it bend at least to the handle if not through.  Sinew backing would be an interesting option also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:41:37 pm »
Outside of Osage, ERC is my favorite wood. I have made several bows out of ERC. They are fast and kinda unstable. I have also blown up several bows out of ERC. That short I would make it a backed flat bow. A bend through the handle I would want it longer. If you are going to not back it you can not do anything to the back except take the bark off. But be careful not to violate the rings at all. I like to take some of the sap wood off so the belly has some red in it. Leave some white wood on for safety and back it with rawhide. This will make a fast bow with some built in safety. Go slow with tillering. Once you get it close to the dimensions you want use sand paper or a scraper to finish. It is soft wood and it will go south real quick.
Good luck.
Pm Me if you have any questions.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline John K

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:28:53 am »
Thanks everyone for there input ! I will keep you all posted as to how it goes.

When i cut this a few weeks ago the bark peeled right off, so the back is in prestine condition !

It sure is easy to work, plus the shop smells like a big cedar chest  :D

AKAPK

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:26:59 pm »
nice cedar john.phillip

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 01:40:41 pm »
Hi All, I finally got it done. I'm very happy with this bow, it's the fastest i've made to date. 52# @ 28" 61" ttt
I used a piece of Turtle shell scale that i had for the strike plate and Purple Heart for the arrow shelf and tip over lays.
The Diamond back skins came from ADB in a trade.

I hope you like the pictures, i just wish i would of had a little more sun for the pictures !

JohnK
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:23:13 pm by John K »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »
John, everything about this bow looks good. I especially love the heartwood "flames" at the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 01:56:12 pm »
Thanks Pat ! I plan to hunt with this one  :)