Author Topic: Possible arrow material ID help  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Talonzz

Possible arrow material ID help
« on: June 04, 2009, 04:40:53 pm »
Hey kids...  I found a number of thickets of these on my land while out runnin' around and I need help identifying it. It is growing in kind of a roadside, marshy area along with a type of small bamboo/snake grass looking stuff. I live in Central Minnesota if that helps. As you can see from the pictures below, it grows nice and straight for at least the first 3 feet before any small branches show up. They are all under 1/2" thick with bark on. There are a few pine cone looking things (pods) on some of them and I found at least one or two things that look like berries. 
What is it? and would it make good arrows? If it would make good arrows could you guide me to directions on what to do with it once it's harvested.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:13:26 am by Talonzz »
Nobody Ever got Anywhere by Being Content...
Central Minnesota

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Possible arrow material ID help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »
No idea! Sorry!  ??? ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »
i dont live far from ya,seen it before but not sure what it is
is it pithy in the middle?
dry some out and give it a try

there should be all kinds of red osier around the marsgy areas,good arrow material
other wise you can use suckers from like maple trees and even hezelnut shrub shoots
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:31:22 pm »
looks simmilar to willow?

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:17:49 pm »
My wife and I both thought it looked like willow.  Not sure with the round Pine Cone looking things though.  I'll keep waiting and researching.

Thanks for lookin' and trying to help though.

Sailordad: Yeah, I'm just down 23 from you about 1/2 hour in Milaca. I've got a dozen shoots cut, peeled and drying in the barn right now. I'll let you know how it works out.
Central Minnesota

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:12 pm »
Not sure what that is. but doesnt hurt to just give a few a try.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:23 am »
My first thought was willow until I saw the cone. Now I don't know. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service.
  When you collect shoots for arrows, be sure it is at least 2nd year growth. Generally, the first year a shoot grows it has leaves along it's length. The second year small branches grow from where last years leaves were. Collect only shoots with branches and not just leaves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 12:35:35 am »
I don't know the name, but I do recognize the cone, and the fleshy red growth too.  I was doing a web search for various types of willow, but was unsuccessful finding anything.

Now I'm really curious.

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:32 am »
I'm pretty sure at least the red fleshy "berry" is a gall. You can see it is actually attached to a leave, not to a branch. A gall is usually on a leaf, and is a plants reaction to a parasitic animal (insect). Many galls exist, with different shapes. That "pine cone" is also a gall. Who would have guessed it's name: Pine-cone willow gall

It's still a willow though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:07:42 am by DarkSoul »
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:44:26 am »
I think Dark Soul nailed it for you. Willow will make arrows, but if you can find red osier or wild rose, you'd be happier with them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 09:48:44 am »
Well DarkSoul, you win the prize with the pine cone willow gall. I could tell the small reddish growth was a gall but I have never heard of a pine cone willow gall. Thanks for the info.
  Like Hillbilly said, willow will make an arrow but wild rose or red osier will work out better for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 10:59:19 am »
Thank You all For the help on this...   I really appreciate it.

I'm gonna give theses a try and keep searching for other material. Most of my land is pasture for the horses so I don't have much to choose from.

Thanks Again  ;D
Found it...

Salix irrorata Andersson
(Bluestem Willow)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:11:03 am by Talonzz »
Central Minnesota

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »
Check around creeks, ditches and border areas for other shoot materials. The birds do a great job of distributing seeds to these areas.   

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 12:57:32 am »
That looks like young willow shoots.  I've never made arrows from it but if that's all you've got, then give it a try. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 01:28:38 am »
You should cross reference it against a plant called ''mule fat'' that is what it looks like to me anyway. I don't know if it is good for arrows but it is great for hand drill fire .