Author Topic: Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue?  (Read 10996 times)

Ahnlaashock

Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue?
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »
I went to get a bottle of Titebond three.  They did not have it.  Instead they had Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue. 
Are we talking about the same product?

Ahnlaashock

Re: Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:48:16 pm »
Oopsss!  Newbie misunderstanding.  From reading, somehow I had taken Titebond III to be the correct name for the Liguid Hide Glue also discussed.  Kind feel dumb for some reason!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:02:23 pm »
Don't worry about it
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:35:32 am »
Has anyone used the titebong hide glue?  I was wondering how it worked on sinew or snake skins.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:56 am »
I use TB hide glue for snake skin and rawhide backing - it works great for that.
Gordon

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:36 am »
Howdy Gorden and all,

Is that TB Hide Glue as sensitive to moisture as other, natural hide glues?

Thanks,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:57:11 pm »
Years ago, Jay massey wrote that the Franklin Liquid hide glue was not good. Not Sure about tbhg, But make sure you check the expiration date! Three bottles at my local lumber yard expired last year. They were unaware of this, Good Shootin, Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:59:06 am »
Yes TB hide glue is sensitive to moisture like any other hide glue. I don't worry about that much because snake skin is waterproof and I put a good finish on all of my bows.
Gordon

Offline Dano

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Adam Keiper

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 07:54:33 am »
I actually prefer liquid hide glue for snakeskins over regular Titebond.  It creates a natural suction with the skin that makes the process go very smoothly, unlike Titebond that makes a slippery mess until it begins to set.  The trouble is finding fresh liquid hide glue.  It onlly lasts a year and doesn't want to tack and dry well after that.  Check the expiration date on the bottom.  Most stores, if they even carry it, have glue that is past its life.   Barring good liquid hide glue, my next favorite if Titebond 3.  It seems to be the thickest of all the Titebonds and is the least slippery of the TBs to work wiith.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 08:16:15 am »
I use it for skins and sinew wraps regularly when time is an issue. I also use it for fletching and wrapping nocks on cane and tonkin regularly because of the convenience factor. I've used it to sinew an osage bow a few years ago and it worked well. I was hesitant w/ Massey's comment also, but wanted to know myself and did it. Any hide glue I've used has been bothered by moisture when not sealed.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 11:36:40 am »
This bottle is good until 03 2010.  Ace Hardware carries it in stock a couple of bottles at a time.   
The board is shaped, floor tillered to about brace height, and ready to have the backing put on before I start to really bend it.   
Since Ace doesn't have the III product, and I don't know any place close by to get any, it is either use the hide glue, wait, or go out and mix up some epoxy. 
I do have a quart Gluvit Epoxy here.   Have not heard anything about it being used making bows, but it is designed to penetrate and bond with wood.  They inject it into rotted wood when repairing boats.  It's biggest drawback is that it is not protected against UV rays.  I had considered using it as the final weather seal for the bow anyway. 
I cut the nocks and made up a long string for it last night. 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 07:41:07 pm »
does titebond liquid hide glue work the same with sinew as regular hide glue?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 09:20:08 pm »
I went to Home Depot on my way home from buying a yard of silk.  They had the Titebond III. 
I thinkI am going to use it in putting the silk on, and then therHide glue on the wraps so they pull down really tight, but are outside a waterproof coating on the wood. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 09:32:03 pm »
does titebond liquid hide glue work the same with sinew as regular hide glue?

Yes it does Tim...but I don't believe that it will shrink as much as normal Hide Glue does..I use it too for Snake Skins and Servings ...and my Gut Wraps on my Knives I build....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome