Author Topic: machete  (Read 5825 times)

misfitxnet

machete
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:51:39 pm »
Does anyone know of a place online or through mail, that carries good machetes?
I would be using it for crafting, and also clearing.
I'd like one German made if possible.

Offline woodsrunner

Re: machete
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »
Cold Steel makes a couple of nice ones and the woodsmans pal sold in most outdoor magazines is really nice.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:17:08 pm »
Get one thats got a good blade that wont bend up on ya>>> I tear up a lot of machetes, sometimes you get what you pay for too!

I recently tried one from Gerber that was a joke( the one that has a saw on the back)  The saw was a joke and the rubber came off the handle.  Nice shape and feel to it just poorly made.

Good Luck!

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline mole

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:06 pm »
My brother has had two of the cold steel machetes and they both warped very quickly.  In my experience CS seems to have very spotty qaulity control.

Go to your local hardware store and see if they have some of those Brazilian Tramontina ones.  They're inexpensive and pretty good quality.

John

Just noticed the crafting part of your question.  This machete probably won't do too well for that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:59:02 pm by mole »
Northeast Georgia

Offline okydoky

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:19 pm »
Suggest you try your local Wally world garden center or Academy Sports...Fiskars/Gerber makes a funny looking one that is curved near the tip. Looks flimsy, but, during our recent ice storms last winter, it cuts very well, and bigger stuff than it looks capable of. Also, go back to the sporting goods section of the store, buy a tennis racket handle wrap...it looks like a blue or grey tube that stretches over the handle for a non slip grip...this "machete" was featured in "Backwoods" magazine a few months back...I keep it in my truck for cutting hickory saplings O:)
Don't outsmart your common sense!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »
Barteaux and Sons out of Portland, Oregon makes the best lasting one I've ever had.
Hope this helps.

http://www.machete.com/
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »
  The best ones I've found and use at work come from Costa Rica. You can get them in different lengths, some only a foot long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:39:24 pm »
I had my wife get a cheap one from Wally World.  Two of the handle screws sheared off while I was cutting a 6 inch Sassafras!  I am not little, but I am not sasquatch either.  Unless you are goiung to temper it yourself and replace the handle, don't bother. 
Looking for a good one myself!

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 09:12:46 am »
Cold Steel makes a couple of nice ones and the woodsmans pal sold in most outdoor magazines is really nice.

Cold Steel makes ugly looking machete because of how modern the designs look.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:03:07 am »
To increase your odds of finding a good blade ,you could expand it to include barongs and gurkas .

Ralph

WindWalker

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:42:18 am »
misfitxnet,
Try the Cutlery Shoppe online.  Excellent service and very good prices.
Best Wishes

Offline wakosama

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:09:01 pm »
Have khukris I prefer... this is where I got them... but the cost alot shipping.  Several of us combined and got a deal.

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/Content/Makings/

Tramantino makes good machetes... also Woodsman's Pal, and Ontario... or Atlanta Cutlery...

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-129-kukris-machetes.aspx

Finally try a Japanese version...

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&mimid=645QY8TGA93BEZPGWKDOGFTPODKG53MC&pf_id=11.436.2&dept_id=13269
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »
I would like to give a strong recommendation for the the khukuri. I ordered mine from the same link that wakosama posted and they are amazing! He's right about the shipping cost but I just found some friends to order with me and split the cost and I splurged a little and got 4, that helped mitigate the shipping cost quite a bit. That company is also very friendly and accomodating, they did free engravings and threw in a free knife because there was a short delay in shipping them out.They are beautiful, sharp and hard as nails. I have done lots of clearing with them and they cut through saplings like butter. I have also used mine for roughing out my bow but my swedish handaxe worked better for that, but it was serviceable.

misfitxnet

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 09:29:12 pm »
The Khukuri Ghurka knive looks awesome.
I wonder if it would be possible to get a wooden handle instead of water buffalo.
Either way, it's a great looking knife.

misfitxnet

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 09:36:22 pm »
okay there is one with a wooden handle, the GI2