Author Topic: Laurel oaks for bow wood? (pics added)  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

Laurel oaks for bow wood? (pics added)
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »
I'm having three of these cut down tomorrow and got to thinking if they would be any good to make a bow out of. What do you think, any good or just more fire wood...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:09:44 pm by Craig/Fl »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Laurel oaks for bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:42:09 pm »
 Craig, they will work as most oaks will. Just strip the bark and whittle a bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:31 pm »
Thanks Mullet, That's great news, I'll have them save me some a few 7' pieces of the trunks, they look nice and straight and big and round,. How much time do I have to remove the bark, probably be Friday till I can really get after it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:32:46 pm »
If you can, split the log(s) in half and seal the ends. You can wait to remove the bark later. When you do remove the bark, seal the back with shellac or glue. Some say it isn't necessary but learning the hard way ain't fun.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »
Thanks Pat B, I split one of the logs when I got home, I started at one end and it kind of took a  twist when splitting it. I sealed the ends with elmers glue and covered with a tarp as it started to rain. I'll work on removing bark tomorrow evening.
I must say I have great respect for those of you who do this on a regular basis, it was quite a chore splitting the log and I know theres much work ahead to get some staves out of this. The good news is I probably lost 5 lbs in the process. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:41:37 pm »
The twists you are experiencing is the way the tree grew. If you look at the bark, you can see the twist there. This will help you the next time you go looking for wood. Generally, twists can be eliminated with heat or just incorporated into the design of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:34 am »
would it be possible to chaulk a straight line down the back and cut down a few inches with a chain saw or circular saw to get to split straight or is it still going to follow the twist?

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »
Hers a few pics, does this look OK so far? You might be able to see some of the twist.

Offline Craig/Fl

Re: Laurel oaks for bow wood? (pics added)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:16:37 pm »
Heres another view, I should get two more staves from the rest of the log today, then I'll start to de-bark them.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:21:12 pm »
 Craig, that twist doesn't look too bad. You can get most of it out when you tiller the bow. And then you can steam, boil. or dry heat some more out. If you cut them 7'long, when it comes time to lay out your bow you can cut off the real bad twisted end and lay your center line out and use the twist to your advantage. You can lay it out so the string passes to the edge of your handle, either left or right side.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:12:54 pm »
Thanks Mullet, I cut the staves to 7', it did get rid of some of the twist, I got the bark off and seal the backs with 2 coats of TBIII. I also split the staves in half again, I just finished reading a chapter in one of my TBB's about drying the wood and now find out it might not have been such a good idea as they may dry to fast. How long should I let these dry before I can start Whittling out a bow.
Heres a pic of were I'm at now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »
You can go ahead and reduce one to almost bow dimensions and it will dry quicker.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
 Yep' like Pat said. We have enough humidity in Fl, especially with the rain we are getting right now to not have to worry about drying too fast. If you reduce it to bow size, clamp it down and it will help keep it from twisting while drying.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 02:57:47 pm »
I got the stave reduced some and strapped it to a beam to cut down on twist and maybe straighten it out a little. got the idea to do this to add some reflex, you think it might work?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »
  Craig, are you going to the Long Hammock shoot Sunday? I'll be there.
Lakeland, Florida