Author Topic: New project  (Read 31845 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: New project
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:53 pm »
Pappy, could you do a post about how that center line tool works with maybe some close up pics so that I could make one?
Thanks
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 12:27:00 pm »
Dave, that jig is probably about 6-8" long with a couple of dowells out toward the ends and with a pencil in the center between those two dowells. When using the dowells extend down past the edges of the stave once you've chased it to one grain as with osage. You basically apply pressure with your hand to where both dowells which straddle the stave one on each side stay in contact with the two sides of the stave. Then you maintain that pressure while going down the length of the stave and the pencil is drawing a centerline on the stave. I don't personally think that it is foolproof, because I've seen the edges of a lot of staves that aren't parallel from one side to the other after splitting the log. But it would work as a tool to start with, but I would personally check the line full length of the stave after I used it to ensure it is correct. Hope this helps, I don't personally have a picture of the jig. Pappy will probaby chime in with further explanation and a picture. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:23 pm »
Greg explained it pretty well,and yes on a really snaky stave you need to recheck the center line
especially if the loge was sawed out and not split ,but it dose give you a good starting point and
works great on straight wood.Like any other tool in this stuff ,they help but not fool proof.  :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »
Thanks so much Greg and Pappy.  I'll make me one of them thar things.   :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

radius

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 10:37:28 am »
thanks for showing the jig...looks like it has a 5/16 nut in it to hold the pencil?  Same as eric krewson's tillering gizmo?

Question about your steampipe:  is it sealed at both ends?  Or are there vent holes to allow steam to escape (and thereby draw more steam in)? 

This weekend i plan to make one of those out of pvc piping, with a T in the center, a cap on one end, and a clean-out at the other end.   Should i drill a couple 1/4" holes or so?  One at each end?

thanks,

radius

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:56 am »
I have wood plugs in both ends wit 3 or 4 1/8 vent holes drilled in them to let it draw.I first done
it without the holes and it didn't get as hot and not near as much steam.You also need to slant the pipes back torward the pot so the moisture will drain back,don't use as much water that way and run
the chance of it boiling dry while you steam.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
That was some fine splitting work you did to pull off three staves of that quality
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 01:44:49 pm »
John, I split off what we call the belly split which is the point end of a split log. Then on the bark side we drew a line following the linear grain and cut it on the band saw. Probably would have split okay to have gotten two bow out of the top portion, but we played it safe.  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
good tip. I have a few big osage quarters that I might try that with ... Might get three rather than 2 bows out of it
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 06:40:02 am »
John it is called the greed factor  :) >:D A lot of time if we have a snaky stave that is wide enough
for 2 bows but you are never really sure that it will split they way you want we do that.Get right in the center and lay out a center line just like you would if you was laying out a bow.Then saw down that line and then lay out bows on the 2 half's. I did the same thing on a stave a couple of years back and got 3 where I would have probably only got 2.

Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 10:37:57 am »
thanks, Pappy...

I'm gonna make a couple bowmaking tools this weekend:  a shaving horse and a steampipe.  I'm gonna use pvc plumbing pipe, with a T at the middle like you have, a cap on one end and a clean-out at the other end.  I'll try and tilt it in like you say so the water returns to the pot after it condenses.  It's a great idea.  I dunno, though:  maybe i'll just have to tip the thing every so often.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 11:08:51 am »
put up pics of the shaving horse I want to build one soon as well! Preferably one that can live outside

radius

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 11:19:14 am »
will do...but until then, youtube it...several guys make clips showing how they made theirs.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 11:59:42 am »
put up pics of the shaving horse I want to build one soon as well! Preferably one that can live outside

http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/Blood_and_Sawdust/Blood_and_Sawdust_Home_Page.html

Here is a good site for all sorts of cool stuff to build, the shaving horse is in the middle of the page.

Here are some others:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/177974362_bf2610093b.jpg?v=0
http://www.rogueturtle.com/articles/images/shaving3.gif
http://prweb0.voicenet.com/~rburton/horse.gif

I think the last one is probably your best bet on read ability, the others are a bit sketchy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:59:26 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2009, 12:13:36 pm »
nice