Author Topic: Baghdad bows  (Read 5625 times)

armybowyer

Baghdad bows
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:04:08 am »
It's been a while since I last posted. Last known as "bowstick" or "buildabow"... now as "armybowyer".  I received my active duty status in July last summer. I was on my last year of IRR status.  Not knowing where or what I might be doing, I did the best thing in the interest of my Wife and children.   Immediately I began preperations for this deployment.  A descision had to be made about the business.  Some may wonder if I still own or have anything to do with Bowstick Archery.  Answer: No.  I sold the business outright back in August... with the sale came the website, the customer database, the contracts, the stock and inventory, phone numbers and all open accounts, all the tools and lumber... everything.  That chapter of my life closed the day I left for Iraq.  Of course though... when you got the bug there's no shakin' it! No matter where I go or what I'm doing, I've got bows on the brain!

I have been here in Iraq scoping out the local trees... not to many, just Palm and I think Eucalyptus (SP?) and a few others.  Of course I had some hickory sent over and have made a few self bows from it... but I needed more. I wanted to make a bow from local material.  I have yet to score a palm tree (but hope to soon), but I did go out on a night mission to secure myself some of this "E" for short :)  In the dark of the night I walked along the barrier walls, just on the other side is the city of Baghdad.  My friend let me use his NVG's as to not alert anyone with a flashlight.  Bow saw in hand, determination at heart I found some great staves.  Quietly cutting the perfect specimen my heart was kinda racing.  I dropped big branches from the tree that night and huffed them back to the "shack" i work from.  The first thing I did was scrape the bark.  Decided which way to split it then did so with a hatchet and wedge.  Sealed the ends with marking paint, tied them together and let them dry... didnt take to long and i was able to start shaping and flexing.  Before you knew it I had the thing to brace height... then further.  I was nervous because I didnt know the species of wood and weather it would hold.. but I drove on.  Then finally, full draw, I tillered it to 28". No scale in hand but using my best judgment, I'd say 46# :) My draw lenght is only 26 1/2"  To my surprise this wood takes no string follow!   Anyway... i'm not finished yet, still need to do the detail work (handle, signature etc)... but I couldnt wait to share the progress.  Here are the pics of what I have so far. Enjoy!   I will post another thread for the other selfbow in progress as well.  until next time, Justin Steinmetz

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: Baghdad bows
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:12 am »
Beautiful bow Justin :) And thanks for serving we appreciate all that you do for your country :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:22:36 am »
Awsome bow and story.  Really a nice bending piece of wood, then I scroll down and see the snake curves (wow) you did good, and under tough conditions. Glad you still get to do the things you love. Do you have arrows or access to materials so you can shoot? Do any of your comrads have archery intrest? Thanks for your service and be very careful.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:29 am »
Awesome!  'Acquiring' natural materials is part of what I really enjoy about this whole endeavor.  I've seen some eucalyptus down here in S. Florida.  I'll have to keep my eyes open.  Thanks for the post - I enjoyed it, and thank you for serving.
1’—>1’

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:43:05 am »
Very cool bow.  Keep us posted and thanks for serving.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »
Great bow, even better story.  And I thought it was dangerous when I went out to cut a sapling in the dead of winter at night in the middle of a forest...

Plus it's nice to see a wooden bow in a city that has been all about composites since the Assyrians we around.  I'm glad you still have the bug Justin.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »
Nice use of whatever is handy! 

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 01:47:06 pm »
What a great story behind the bow. And the bow itself is excellent - you gotta love a profile like that.

Thank you so much for your service to our country and please stay safe.
Gordon

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:47:13 pm »
Great job on a gnarly piece of wood! Thanks for your service,you are all on my prayer list every day. Let us know if you identify the wood. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »
inspiring!!

that snaky pic looking down the string impresses the heck out of me! erases all questions about you getting rusty from being around guns all day!

be safe & find your way back home,
Rob

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 07:35:56 pm »
know that is a story to be passed down. thanks for sharing. love those character bows.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »
That is one awesome looking bow, and a great story on how you got the wood. It makes all of our night ops seem really lame.  Beautiful job and I admire your perseverance on making a bow in really tough conditions.  Also a Huge Thankyou for your service for our country.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:40 pm »
Wow :o. I guess your life took some big twists recently. All those twists and turns add some great character ;) . Awesome bow. Thanks for your service
                                                                                                                           Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

AKAPK

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 04:31:32 am »
Great bow and sorry to hear ya sold the Business but at least ya won't have to clean up that wood dust in the shop anymore Peace to you and yours.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 10:15:14 am »
That is just an incredible bow and story, armybowyer. You are a tribute to the resourcefulness of the American soldier. Thanks so much for your service. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!